• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Catalytic Converters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajs09876

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

Is it legal in Minnesota for a dealer to sell a car without a catalytic converter?

ajs09876

All right, guys. What other info can I get you to help me? I looked up the laws in MN and it seems like you can't tamper with or remove the cats, but can you sell the car knowing it doesn't have one?

ajs09876

A used car, built after 1978! :) Acutally a 2002 model. Dealer took car in on trade. Their inspection noted no catalytic converter. Dealer chose to not put one on and instead sell it without the cat. Customer was not told that the vehicle had no catalytic convertor when purchasing the car

Mass_Shyster

The answer is definitely yes, as you pointed out below ;)

(Funny thing is you and I were thinking of the same year/make of car!)
I still haven't forgiven my mother for selling hers in 1965 for $300. She thought it needed an engine because it smoked from under the hood.

It was a convertible with a three-on-the tree.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So it is legal then? The dealer didn't break any laws selling this car?
Sorry to steer this the wrong way. The point we were making is that it CAN be legal for it to be sold like this, depending on the vehicle being sold. But that doesn't apply to your situation. I'll research a bit and be back to you...

Mass_Shyster

I found this on the MN Pollution Control Agency website:

Minnesota State Statute 325E.0951 requires
that anyone selling a vehicle in the state
must certify, in writing, that the vehicle has
all its proper pollution control equipment.
The law parallels Minnesota Rule
7023.0120 that prohibits the transfer of a
vehicle title unless the emission controls are
in place and working properly.
Thst statute is here https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=325E.0951

Subd. 4.Penalty.

A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">