• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chance of being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayfloyd

What is the name of your state?GA
In October I was involved in an accident. It was raining and I went over standing water on the road and started spinning. I spun into an oncoming car and we collided. I was given a ticket for driving to fast for conditions even though I was going 10-15 mph under the posted speed limit. She has retained an attorney and is working through my insurance company. Her attorney wants me to give a statement to him. The insurance company rep says that its usually just to see if there is other coverage that I might have that they will be able to get. She is claiming almost 200K in hospital costs although I see that as excessive. My dad was in intensive care for Cancer Surgery and it only cost 27k. My policy only covers up to 25K. Even though I have no assests and make only 40K a year, are they still likely to try and get the rest of that money from me? It would take forever for them to get that much from me. Am I screwed up for the rest of my life now financially?

S

shell007

It is not up to you to determine medical costs or what you think medical care $$$ are.

If the other driver sues you, (which seems to be the case), they will be asked to provide all paperwork for actual medical expenses. They are probably also including pain and suffering.

Your Insurance co. will try to negotiate within your policy limits. However, if a judgement is awarded in her favor above and beyond the 25K limit that you have...you will be liable to pay out of pocket. :(

Stand by for more advice. :)

JETX

jayfloyd said:
Am I screwed up for the rest of my life now financially?
If they win, yep.

A lot of people misunderstand insurance coverage. The state sets MINIMUM coverage amounts, mainly to protect OTHERS from damages suffered due to the policyholders actions.
In this case, you purchased that MINIMUM. Your insurance company provides higher coverage... at a price. You made the decision to only purchase what you did..... and any losses over that amount are on you. You gambled that any damages you are liable for would be less than your coverage limit. You lost.

You Are Guilty

You'll likely be getting a letter from your insurance company in the near future noting that the alleged damages exceed your policy limits and as such, it's probably a good idea to retain an attorney to protect your interests. Taking that advice would be a good idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">