• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check in the mail - SO confused!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrshughes

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida
I apologize in advance for what are probably ignorant questions. I am admittedly out of my league.
Here is the background:
My children (at the time of the accident one was 17 months old and the other was 7 weeks old) and I were involved in an auto accident on 3/27/03. The driver that caused the accident crossed the yellow line on a two lane road and hit my car. My airbags deployed, and everyone in my car was buckled in. She was ticketed.
My children and I were taken by ambulance to the ER. We were all treated for contusions and abrasions, and I was given x-rays. My older daughter and I are fine: I have not, (nor will not) seek any further medical treatment for the two of us. Follow up treatment for my youngest daughter has included x-rays, chiropractic treatment and physical therapy. As a result of injuries suffered in the accident, she has had some delays in reaching developmental milestones, which we are addressing in physical therapy.
After the accident, our insurance company (USAA) advised us to file our claim with them, as the other driver had minimal coverage and would more than likely not be able to cover the total loss of the car. We received a more than fair settlement from USAA for the car, and I have absolutely no complaints about that.
As a condition of filing through USAA vs. Prudential, Prudential said they would pay all of my out-of-pocket expenses. Within days of the accident, Prudential cut us a check for our collision deductible ($500) and reimbursed us for new car seats ($535), but not for our medical deductibles since it was unknown at that time whether or not we actually incurred more than $1000 of cost per person.
On April 3, I received a letter from Prudential saying, "it is necessary that you forward within 30 days from the date of this letter copies of all medical records for treatment rendered, copies of any receipts for out-of-pocket expenses for medical treatment and copies of any outstanding bills for treatment.
Within 30 days I will evaluate all of the claims based on the documentation received. The claims will be evaluated on a pro rata basis up to our insured's policy limits."
I had not received any bills yet, so I could not send them anything. The 30 days since the date of the letter had come and gone before my bills came in, so I looked to my primary health insurance company to pay what USAA did not cover (the $1000 deductibles). To be honest, I have not given Prudential much thought.
Yesterday, I received three checks in the mail (dated July 21) from Prudential with notes that say, "Enclosed is the check for full and final settlement of your bodily injury claim for the auto accident of 3/27/03" One check was for $1500 and referenced my youngest daughter. The other two checks were for $1200 and referenced me and my older daughter.
So here are my questions -
Why did they send me these checks?
Where did they get those figures?
What would you do if you were me (or if I were your mother or wife...)?
Doesn't this seem strange?
I would appreciate any advice that you have.
-Sandi

C

condaggitt

They sent you the checks hoping you would cash them before asking any questions.

And full and final settlement means exactly that! No matter how bad you or your childs injuries are down the road. No matter how much more medical expenses you run up, the insurance company will pay you ZERO!

So you have to make a choice, to cash the checks and take your chances you wont have any more bills from this accident, or not cash them and sue for more money.

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

I would take the checks, the letter and any other documentation you received from Prudential and see a personal Injury attorney.

But that's what I would do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">