• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child burn accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jalee

south carolina case. my daughter was burned at a home while trick or treating on Halloween of 2001. she was 8 yrs. old. she was wearing a costume that i purchased from a costume website. the homeowners had some candles lit on their front porch area and the bottom of her costume skirt caught fire and within only 3 or 4 seconds, the flames had engulfed the costume and shot 4 feet above her head. she suffered both 2nd and 3rd degree burns. the scars on her left arm from the 3rd degree burns will always be there, throughout her lifetime. we hired an attorney to sue both the homeowner's insurance company and the costume company's insurance. it is now february of 2003 and we are still waiting. we were offered a settlement of $15,000 by the homeowner's insurance co., which we turned down. my questions are as follows... what is an appropriate amount that we should sue for? and how long should we allow the case to drag out? should we demand an amount by a certain date? is that customary? we would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">