• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child wants permit Dad says no/Mom yes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Harley1213

My fiance's daughter want to get her permit in 6 months and she lives with us. The mom says she will give it to her. The problem: Who is financially responsible for her insurance and accidents. There is one more problem she is a problem child and pretends to be a cutter and has been in and out of mental hospitals because when she get mad or wants to get attention she will call the police and tell them that she is going to kill herself. They pick her up she goes thru the county hospital and the off to a adolscent mental wad for 7 days. All of which has a total of $150,000.00 so far. So the question remains - who is responsible the one who signs or the one in which she lives with? Help.

Last edited:

racer72

Until the child shows the emotional stability to handle life, she should not be driving. What is she has one of her "moments" while driving and decides to take out a group of pedestrians? Besides her parent being potentially financially responsible you could be putting everything you have on the line when you marry her mother. I am fully on the father's side in this case.

Harley1213

I am the Father's fiance. We are the one's saying no. Her mom is going to let her do this because she wants to be the "good parent". We are the parent's that are the "mean" one's. What can we do to stop this?

BelizeBreeze

The mother can legally sign for her to receive her permit.

That doesn't mean the father has to provide a vehicle, insurance or any other provision for her.

Harley1213

We would not provide insurance or a car to this child. What hapens if she drives at her mother's house, takes the keys up at her mom's. Our keys we put in the safe because we don't trust her. What if she drives someone elses car?

Lynx 36

Quote: "Our keys we put in the safe because we don't trust her."

That's a good call. It seems like you should have the ultimate control in this situation as you have custody of her. Not an atty though so not qualified to answer those legalities. Good luck, at least you keep the keys to your current cars out of her hands.

teflon_jones

Unfortunately, if she has a permit and lives under your roof then you'll need to put her on your insurance policy. If there was a 0% chance of her ever getting in the car, I'd still put her on my policy! If she's unstable, or acts out, then a car is just a bad idea. Acting out while driving a 4000+ lb automobile can have deadly consequences, and you could be held liable. So you either need to add her to your policy, or convince her mother not to get her a permit.

My 16 yo son got his permit last April. My son and I went to CA DMV to apply for it. They would not accept the application without my husband's signature. So we had to go back home, have him sign it, and return to DMV. Maybe this could be the end all of the situatin for you. Just a thought.

And when we did return home with his permit, first thing I did was call my insurance agent. They told me that he was covered during his permit period, but that once he received his driver's license, we needed to call them and have him added to the policy (ie cha ching).

So to wrap up. If she DOES come home with a permit in the future, ask her (or Mom) who forged your signature. And call your insurance agent to see how coverage applies during the permit period. Good luck!

PS - My son does well in school and sports and I'm STILL nervous about letting him drive. You're right to worry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">