• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chipped/cracked windshield

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robbob

What is the name of your state? MA

While driving to work on the highway a large 18 wheeler dump truck passed me on the left a pulled into the right lane in front of me. I was driving a rental car. Small rocks were streaming from the back of the truck (coming from between the seam where the dump closes). These rocks caused two chips as well as a five to six in crack, which continues to grow larger, in the winshield.
Unable to read the grimy plate number, or the half ripped off "how's my driving" sticker, I followed the truck to its work site. Once there the truck continued down into a sand pit with lots of other heavy machinery. I went to the site office to talk to someone but there was nobody around. After a few minutes I left without speaking to anyone.
So I have a couple questions. Am I correct in assuming that my auto insurance will cover a new windshield for the rental ( I have full coverage)? Would I get anywhere trying to get the trucking company to pony up the dough for this. I know, I know, I should probably just let my comprehensive cover this, but I just does'nt seem right.

S

suthrn1

I have seen several claims of this type (not in a rental car) that have been paid by trucking companies. Once a truck threw off a brake shoe and clobbered a ladys car.

If you have enough info to contact the company do it. Cant hurt. If you must file it under your own insurance (although they wont persue it) they will cover it, give them the info.

One more thing.

Check with the credit card company you used to rent the car, two of mine AMEX and a Visa provide limited coverage.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">