• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chiropractor and accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Flowergirlkacie

What is the name of your state? California
I was in a car accident in November 2001 and settled with the third party in November 2002. During that year I was seeing a chiropractor on the recommendation of my sister who had been seeing the same one. The staff had me fill out some forms and told me all bills would be submitted to the third party insurance for them to pay. When I settled, insurance provided me no money for the chiropractor bills saying the treatment that was recommended by the doctor was excessive and that they would not cover it. Before I settled, I let the chiropractor office know that they were not going to cover their bills and that they needed to contact the insurance or else they could not get their money. They didn't. Here I am now, 8 months after settling and the chiro office wants their money. I have received no bills, no phone calls prior to this, and basically no help from the chiro office before. They are now threatening me to take me to small claims court. The settlement I received was for pain and suffering, not for medical. Can they take me to small claims when they failed to make additional contact with the insurance company?? The bills are $4,770! There is no way I can afford that; I'm just a college student. I appreciate advice! Thanks!

stephenk

Did you really expect to get free treatment? Did you have any medical insurance, either through your auto insurance (med pay) or a separate policy?

The money you received in settlement was to pay for your chiro treatment and for general damages.

Try to work out a discount from the chiro and then a payment plan. If you are taken to small claims court you will lose. you will then have a judgment against you that will also collect interest at 10% a year.

F

Flowergirlkacie

I did have medical insurance, personally and through my car insurance as did the third party. The clinic offered student discounts at the time but they are saying they cannot give me that discount because it is through insurance. But it is through me....with the student discount it would bring my bills down to $1,000 which I can handle.

F

Flowergirlkacie

Isn't it too late because I have already settled? I thought California law required it to be filed within a year....So I might be able to send the bills to my insurance (I have excess medical coverage). The car I was hit in was not my car, it was a good friends. I don't know if I would have to file the claim through them and if I do that I wouldn't want their insurance to go up. I appreciate your help. Thanks so much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">