• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Choosing Between Coverage’s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hapu'uFern

What is the name of your state?HI
Collision Repair- Question, I was Rear Ended. The liability issue is pretty clear. As It turns out I have 2 Insurance Policies that have Collision & Comp with same $500 deductible in force at time of accident. How do I choose who to claim with? Is it legal to claim on both, since I paid for both policies? Would that cover the deductible?
I have spent over 2 days searching every where on the Internet for information regarding duplicate coverage, to no avail.
Wanting to stay within the law, NEED Advice.
In my state's archives, at the DOI websites any cases that pertain to
duplicate coverage tends to have the companies battling to both not pay.
It is most important that my car be fixed expeditiously, without this holding things up. Thanks for any help.
More Details: Both of these policies are my own. The driver that hit me had no insurance. I just moved and had overlapping coverage from 2 companies,2 states. My auto repair will be in the $4k range. I've heard of folks taking money for auto repairs and then having the work done more cheaply, or by friends or relatives. I dont know if that's considered fraud or not either. If we are all paying so much over the years for insurance vs. the once per 20 year claim(s), it almost seems o.k. to try to file for as much as we are eligible for.

Last edited:

Questions

1. Why do you have two policies?
2. If you were rear-ended by someone else, why isn't their insurance paying for your repairs?

lwpat

File under the company that you are planning to drop. Filing under both and accepting payment in full would be fraud. Most companies want you to use one of their approved repair shops. If you just want the money it should not be a problem unless there is concealed damage. You also may have no warranty on the repairs since the insurance company stands behind their shops.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">