• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

citation in PA has the wrong date and time for my accident. Fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbbever

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was in an accident on 6/17 at 10:55 PM on the way home from a wedding. I had been drinking, but was only .05 on the breathalizer.

The citation came in the mail last Friday and states the time of the accident as 8:30 PM on 6/18. It was a fairly minimal fine; $114 for careless driving. However, 3 points will be assessed to my license; which will raise my insuraence rates even more after my claim.

First of all is this enough reason for a judge to throw out the ticket?

Would I risk being hit with other citations/charges for taking this in front of a judge?

Should I call the cop that cited me and see If I could pay the fine and not get the points since there was a mistake o nthe citation?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
dbbever

seniorjudge

dbbever said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was in an accident on 6/17 at 10:55 PM on the way home from a wedding. I had been drinking, but was only .05 on the breathalizer.

The citation came in the mail last Friday and states the time of the accident as 8:30 PM on 6/18. It was a fairly minimal fine; $114 for careless driving. However, 3 points will be assessed to my license; which will raise my insuraence rates even more after my claim.

First of all is this enough reason for a judge to throw out the ticket?

Would I risk being hit with other citations/charges for taking this in front of a judge?

Should I call the cop that cited me and see If I could pay the fine and not get the points since there was a mistake o nthe citation?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
dbbever
Q: First of all is this enough reason for a judge to throw out the ticket?

A: No; the date and time are not elements of the offense.

Q: Would I risk being hit with other citations/charges for taking this in front of a judge?

A: Yes.

Q: Should I call the cop that cited me and see If I could pay the fine and not get the points since there was a mistake o nthe citation?

A: No.

rachelgarl

Should you fight it?

You should not fight it to to reasons seinor judge provided below. Be thankful you or no one else was hurt, and you did not get a dwi. This could have been a whole lot worse for you. Excellent questions.

Q: Would I risk being hit with other citations/charges for taking this in front of a judge?

Last edited by a moderator:

moburkes

rachelgarl said:
You should not fight it to to reasons seinor judge provided below. Be thankful you or no one else was hurt, and you did not get a dwi. This could have been a whole lot worse for you. Excellent questions.

I don't know what a deferred judification is, but with insurance, even if the points are removed or reduced, the insurance company looks at the ticket. Therefore, as long as the ticket stays on the person's driving record, then there will be a ticket that the insurance company will charge for. Having said that, it [robabaly won't make a bit of a difference for the OP. OP was also involved in an accident. Since most insurance companies assign a higher weight to the accident, than the ticket, only the accident will be charged (same day occurrence). Now, OP needs to get the date corrected so that BOTH aren't charged against him/her. Accident on the 17th, and ticket for accident on the 18th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">