• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

city at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

remerson

Where there should be a sidewalk in front of my house, the city simply piled up asphalt about 2 inches off the road to "create" one-with no curbing. Last night in the dark-no street light- I was walking to get into my friends car and my ankle rolled right off the edge. There is also no line or paint to warn you of the edge, and since it was night and the street and "sidewalk" are both black, it is very difficult to see. Is the city liable for my injury ( a severly sprained ankle)? Do they have the responsibility to put at least a curb in?
Just curious, thanks

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Oh HomeGuru -- what a prankster.

You need to check the "obligations" of street repair, etc by check city ordinances. Do a search on the internet for that.

See, most cities have such reponsibilities, especially in residential areas. This preventive action usually includes tape around the area, signs, cones, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">