• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim against other driver insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mquest

What is the name of your state? NJ
2 weeks ago I was sideswept by a truck, the driver wasn't paying attention to the right and just didn't notice my car.
I don't have damage liability with my carrier (Geico) and will file claim with the truck driver insurance carrier.
As I understand I can file directy with their insurance carrier or have Geico file claim for me . What's is better from my perspective filing directly with truck driver insurance or having Geico to do it on behalf??:

Betty

I would file a claim with the at-fault driver's ins. company but would also report the acc. to your own ins co.

ecmst12

If you don't have collision coverage on your car, Geico will not file the claim for you. They may help you find out the other driver's insurance information though, if you don't have it.

mquest

I filed with the other guy insurance company, for car damages and today received a voice mail from the adjuster that claim was denied and they will will not pay.
Do I have any other recource? before going to court and suing the other driver.?
Is it worthwhile to file a complaint with state insurance dept. against insurance co.?

ecmst12

Your next recourse would be small claims court. Commercial truck insurance companies tend to be very difficult to deal with, so you may have a fight on your hands. In order to have a valid insurance commission complaint, you need to show that they did something improper, not just that they denied your claim. What was the reason they denied it?

Remember when you sue, you must sue the DRIVER who hit you, not the insurance company.

Betty

Do we know for sure it was a commercial truck? OP - just to verify, was it a commerical truck (commerical truck driver) that hit you?
As the other poster asked, why was the claim denied?
Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">