• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim Denial Due To False Pretense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crowell_mo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

My situation is this. I am 32 years old and my father and I are joint owners on a vehicle that still has a lien. My father has put me on his insurance in order to get a multi-car discount. Problem is I don't live at with him and he has me at his address in order to get the discount. I asked the insurance company he has the policy with, plus two others if this is ethical and legal. I have been told by all three companies that they could deny a claim since the policy has been written under false pretenses. Problem is, my father's agent says that my living at another address is not a problem and advised my father against changing my address in the policy. Something is not right here since they are telling me one thing and him another. I currently have my own policy with a different company, and plan on keeping it until I get to the bottom of this. Is there anything in the law about this, and could the insurance company actually deny a claim because of this discrepancy?

moburkes

Your insurance agent wants the commission, however the insurance company is bound by the insurance contract, not the agent's words (that's another issue-errors & ommissions). The 3 other opinions that you received are correct. If nothing else, the agent said that you COULD change the address of the 2nd vehicle, and this is what you should do. But if you're saying that you have a 2nd policy on the same vehicle, that's unnecessary. Keep that one, and cancel the one on your dad's. Or keep the first. But in either case record when and who you told that the vehicle was "garaged" at your address.

Is the discount worth a claim being denied?

seniorjudge

crowell_mo said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

My situation is this. I am 32 years old and my father and I are joint owners on a vehicle that still has a lien. My father has put me on his insurance in order to get a multi-car discount. Problem is I don't live at with him and he has me at his address in order to get the discount. I asked the insurance company he has the policy with, plus two others if this is ethical and legal. I have been told by all three companies that they could deny a claim since the policy has been written under false pretenses. Problem is, my father's agent says that my living at another address is not a problem and advised my father against changing my address in the policy. Something is not right here since they are telling me one thing and him another. I currently have my own policy with a different company, and plan on keeping it until I get to the bottom of this. Is there anything in the law about this, and could the insurance company actually deny a claim because of this discrepancy?

Problem is, my father's agent says that my living at another address is not a problem and advised my father against changing my address in the policy.

Have pa's agent put this in writing and you keep it with a copy of the policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">