• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claims against auto makers and insurance companies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nnnslogan

About ten years ago (probably too long ago to file a claim now I guess) I was hit from the side by someone in a rental car. I was trying to get into a center turn lane from a side street, and the gap I was trying to pull into closed, so I was stuck in the lane. I ended up being hit by someone who, as far as I could tell, didn't even try to stop at all. I bet he wasn't even paying attention to the road. I think he and his wife had kids in the car. Apparently they were driving a rental car. At first the wife started squawking at me, but I was disoriented. I reached up and felt that my head was wet, and pulled a plastic shard out of my hair. Then I looked and saw blood on my hand. That thing on the side that was holding my shoulder strap in place looked like a pad of some kind, but that's just a clever illusion. It's actually a plastic shell covering a bolt, no padding whatsoever, so I was essentially banged in the head with a metal bolt. The cop asked me how many fingers I was holding up, and I could see fine. Then he asked me if I was driving "kind of slow" and I nodded yes. The EMS guys gave me a quick once over, then asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. I didn't think I could afford it, so I declined. I could walk and talk, so I figured I was alright. I walked to a nearby store and called a friend to come pick me up.

In the weeks that followed I had strange tingling sensations in my neck and spinal column, which I read somewhere was fairly typical of injuries in auto accidents. Years later I had a problem with my spine at one point and I was numb from the waist down.

The part that really sucked was that the people who hit me and I had the same insurance company, and my car was totally smashed up, so I got nothing and had to drive that wreck for years after with a smashed in side. I had to get in on the passenger side, and couldn't roll down the window. Eventually when I got it looked at by Fix-A-Wreck in Austin they said it would cost thousands to get it fixed, so I just left it there. I couldn't afford to get it fixed at the time, and really the only good thing about that Volkwagen Quantum was that it was a fuel-injected 5-cylinder engine. Later the people who hit me tried to file a claim against me for medical damages, and believe me, they weren't hurt AT ALL. They jumped up and were walking around like nothing happened, while I was bleeding and disoriented. I think that after they realized the insurance company was siding with them, they wanted some free money. I wrote a letter back to the insurance company saying that I wouldn't stand for that, and I'd testify against them in court.

So, I wonder what I could have done, and how long I had to do it. Could I have sued the insurance company? What about Volkswagen for that damned death bolt that hit me in the head?

spawn_x

1. You were not denied the claim because you have the same insurance, you were denied the claim because your husband is at fault.

2. Sue the manufacturer for what? Putting a bolt into a vehicle?

You have no case.

N

nnnslogan

spawn_x said:
1. You were not denied the claim because you have the same insurance, you were denied the claim because your husband is at fault.

2. Sue the manufacturer for what? Putting a bolt into a vehicle?

You have no case.
1. I don't have a husband. I don't know what you were reading when you posted this. I am a MAN. Hello! I was DRIVING.

2. The bolt is right at head level, so that if the car is hit from the side it is almost 100% assured that your head will hit this bolt, cleverly concealed by a piece of plastic that instantly turns into shards. There is no reason for this kind of design flaw. There are plenty of other places to mount a shoulder strap, like a few inches higher or further back, not right at head level, and the cover over the bolt was pretty clearly designed to look like a fake pad, as if it was a protective element, which it wasn't. From my point of view as a professional designer, it looks like a negligent design flaw. No current automobile designs that I know of implement this archaic design, which is a pretty good indication that auto manufacturers at some point determined that it was a hazard, probably due to previous accidents.

I thought this was a forum for professional lawyers who have dealth with auto accident cases. I guess I was mistaken about that.

spawn_x

1. Is it the manufacturer's fault you got into the accident? No.

2. Sorry about the confusion, I thought it was a female asking for her husband, was confused with another thread I guess.

3. Again, you have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">