• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collecting payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tammy8

What are you going to sue for???? No injuries.

You got your car back.....and with less miles than it would have had otherwise?

J

jamesj

unpaid expenses

What is the name of your state? ca
while on our first day of vacation with my wife and two kids 500 miles from home we were rear ended. we had to cancel our vacation return home and 65 days later our 04 car was returned to us. During that time we still had to make our monthly car and insurance payments, I want to collect those monies from the individual that hit us. what steps do I need to take to make this happen. Thank you for your help
Jamesj

J

jamesj

tammy8 said:
What are you going to sue for???? No injuries.

You got your car back.....and with less miles than it would have had otherwise?
thanks, but I could have left my car parked in my garage for 65 days if I wanted less miles. this was a direct monetary loss that was caused another drivers negligence and I just want what we had to pay out of pocket

L

LuvNLuck98

I agree!!

Let me know what comes of your situation! We are in a similar one ourselves. About a month ago a man who ADMITTED he had been drinking to the police hit our car as well as two others in the middle of the night while they were parked in front of our houses. Between the thee he did over $30,000 worth of damage. Regardless of his own admittance, and regardless of the 7 wittness that had been drinking WITH him, the man was not cited in any way for the accident. Not only that, but he has a history of DUI/DWI and above all else has NO insurance! Both him and my husband are military. JAG won't help us because this poses a conflict of interest and we can't get a lawyer that will touch it with a ten foot pole. Our SUV was worth over $25,000 when he hit it. We had only had it for four months so we still owe a great deal more than the car was worth. We got it back two nights ago and it is now appraised at $7,000 putting us about $23,000 upside down on it . Thought the body shop did an excellent job, we have already had to take it back once for mechanical damage that they didn't catch. We will not be able to trade it in because we are SOOOOO upside down on the loan now. We are getting ready to make a cross country move NEXT WEEK in this car that has just been in a wreck where the damage was 60% of what it was worth. We're not only scared to drive it that far now, but feel very violated (not only by this drunk driver, but by the police department here in this southern california town that has certainly earned it's horrible reputation). This man continues to drive his motorcycle without insurance. There has got to be some way to make him pay for what he has done! I know the insurance companies will go after him, but that will not put me, my husband, and our infant daughter in a safer car. We just feel so alone no matter who we turn to. PLEASE let me know what comes of your situation!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

JETX

"I want to collect those monies from the individual that hit us. what steps do I need to take to make this happen."
*** Did you have a rental car during the time that your vehicle was in storage?? Exactly what 'damages' did you incur due to their actions (BTW, your obligation to make the payments are not 'damages')??

In any event, you are certainly free to file a lawsuit against the other (liable) party and have your 'day in court'. Personally, I don't think you have a chance of winning, but what the heck.... you will get a good education in how law works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">