• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

college student-car accident-i need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lvelli

What is the name of your state? NJ

hi, i was in a car accident in which i hit another car. the accident was mainly my fault, although i suspect the other driver was speeding. it happened at rutgers university where both I and the other driver are students. the young woman who's car I hit was not injured at the time of the accident, she refused medical care and said she felt fine. this incident occured in the beginning of december during finals. her insurance company called me a couple weeks ago and I told them I would want to pay for the accident myself rather than going through insurance (i'm on my parents insurance and they wanted me to do this at first, because filing a claim would obviously effect their rates) so I asked her insurance company to have the other driver contact me and work something out without filing a claim. my parents than said this would be stupid for me to do, because it's already on the record that I was in an accident and their rates will be affected regardless, so I should just let insurance handle it. anyway, her father did contact me this morning and is telling me he wants me to pay for her last semester of school because she failed her classes due to the accident, he is saying she did poorly on her exams due to medication she was on. to me this is extremely ridiculous because you can reshedule your exams if you (due to emergency) are unable to take them or prepare for them. I myself had a head wound and got 9 staples in my head (and went to the hospital the night of the accident) and passed all my classes with a 3.5 gpa, also he is saying he wants me to pay for her medical bills, when students have health insurance and my own medical care was free, so hers should be also. i dont know what to do. any advice someone with real legal knowledge or specialization could offer would be appreciated. thanks Laura

Lynx 36

Turn this into your insurance company immediately. When there are injuries involved. It could very expensive f/ you if you don't turn it in. You don't want to be a recent college grad from a fine institution like Rutgers and have a judgment against you f/ thousands of dollars. Plus it will save you on your own atty fees, court appearances, litigation, etc. Your rates may go up but it will save you $$$ and hassle.

lvelli

rutgers became a fine institution when james gandolfini, charlotte from sex in the city, and ally mcbeal all went there, ok! seriously it's one of the top 50 schools in the country... where did you go?
also, i should mention her father didn't say she was injured he said she went to the hospital and was on medication, which is why she didn't do well on her finals.

You Are Guilty

lvelli said:
rutgers became a fine institution when james gandolfini, charlotte from sex in the city, and ally mcbeal all went there, ok! seriously it's one of the top 50 schools in the country... where did you go?
also, i should mention her father didn't say she was injured he said she went to the hospital and was on medication, which is why she didn't do well on her finals.
Point being is that you're getting scammed because you tried to be "nice." I'm surprised they didn't ask you to make Dad's mortgage payments as well, since it seems they want just about everything else.

As said earlier, file the claim and let the insurance company handle it - it's not worth your time to even try to reason with these people who think they hit the Lawsuit Lottery after a small car accident.

PS: I went to a NY State College, which was recently ranked the #1 party school in the nation. I don't think Rutgers can lay claim to an accolade nearly as important as that one!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">