• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Student Legal Address/Theft Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Loudpipe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I'm a college student who is currently living off campus in an apartment building while school is in session. The apartment is not affiliated with my school. My permanent, legal address (as recorded on my driver's license) is at my parent's house in my hometown, about an hour away.

I have a car and a motorcycle down here at my apartment, but the garaged address on the policy is listed as my permanent address, my parent's house, not this apartment. My Jeep spends the majority of its time down here, although I travel back and forth some for business reasons, and the motorcycle is down here quite a bit as well, although not 100% of the time. I would rather leave the address on the policy at my parent's house, since the premium is cheaper and that's where I go when I'm not in school, but I worry about insurance liability, mainly for theft. Crime isn't a huge problem here, but I'd be screwed if my motorcycle was stolen and the insurance company (State Farm) refused to cover it under my comprehensive policy because I'm living in an apartment during school (and hypothetically that's where the bike would be stolen from).

Anyone know how State Farm or the VA State law deals with this scenario?

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

I'm a college student who is currently living off campus in an apartment building while school is in session. The apartment is not affiliated with my school. My permanent, legal address (as recorded on my driver's license) is at my parent's house in my hometown, about an hour away.

I have a car and a motorcycle down here at my apartment, but the garaged address on the policy is listed as my permanent address, my parent's house, not this apartment. My Jeep spends the majority of its time down here, although I travel back and forth some for business reasons, and the motorcycle is down here quite a bit as well, although not 100% of the time. I would rather leave the address on the policy at my parent's house, since the premium is cheaper and that's where I go when I'm not in school, but I worry about insurance liability, mainly for theft. Crime isn't a huge problem here, but I'd be screwed if my motorcycle was stolen and the insurance company (State Farm) refused to cover it under my comprehensive policy because I'm living in an apartment during school (and hypothetically that's where the bike would be stolen from).

well....i could be wrong here...but unless your policy says it will not cover damages unless it is specifically stolen at your parent's address, it shouldn't matter.

ecmst12

If the vehicles are being garaged at a different address for the majority of the time, you need to tell the insurance company.

Banned_Princess

......and you need to tell them that you use the jeep for business reasons.

But no, I don't think if it were stolen from your apartment state farm wont cover it... but if they really didn't want to they certainly could deny it for that.

So yes they can, but they might not.

efflandt

Using a car to travel for business is not the same as business use.
Huh? Business use is business use whether it is personally owned or owned by a business. If someone uses their own vehicle for legitimate business travel (not commuting), that is business use.

ecmst12

You need to read your policy to determine what constitutes business use TO THEM. Depending what you are doing when you travel, it may not count.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">