• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collision Deductable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kscumar

Hi,
I have an auto Policy from a company called reliance Direct.
I have $500 deductable for comprehensive and collison.
I had an accidnet on Jan 10th 2001, when a trailer truck rolled backwards and hit the front of my car in traffic.
Ther was no police report to the accident. My issurance company assessed the damages and paid the amount excluding the deductable. The issurance company said that they would claim the deductable amount from the other party and pay me.
it's almost 5 months now that this happened.
When ever I call the Insurance company they say that they are still working on it and give no time frame as to when it would be resolved. I want to know weather I could approach the Insurance Dept and file a compalint against the company, and second can I cancel my existing policy and change to a new Insurance company as my claim is still pending
Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated

thanks
sharath

Unless it is stated in your policy, there is no time limit to returning your deductable. You had the option of going through the other persons policy and chose not to.

When a carrier attempts to get their clients deductable back it's called subrogation. During subrogation they put the other person and their insurance on notice. The subrogate for the return of what they paid out plus your deductable. Sometimes they have to file suit and go to court to get the money. The fact that there was no police report makes their job harder.

So, it makes no sense for you to file a complaint with your state's DOI against your company when they are trying to help you. If anything you should file against the other guys insurance.

If you cancell your policy it won't affect the claim. It may affect yout pocket book, though. It may be more prudent to get a new policy once yours is about to expire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">