• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collision with parked vehicle, but not my fault!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HelpASAPlease!

I live in Illinois. I was involved in a car accident in Evanston, Illinois at around 11:45 pm on September 26th, of 2000. (9/26/2000) I was driving my friend’s car, and he was sitting in the front passenger seat. Before I agreed to drive his vehicle, I asked him if he had valid car insurance that would cover me. He showed me his insurance card, and assured me that I would be covered because I had permission to drive the vehicle. After the accident, he then produced the insurance card again and one of the two of us (I don’t remember which) gave it to the police officer who was making the report. Later I come to find out that he or his mother (the listed owner of the car) had canceled the insurance. My “friend” lied to me and told lied to the police officer. I was insured on a different vehicle at the time, but I would not have driven his car if he hadn’t told me I was covered on his insurance! The car I struck was parked parallel to the curb. The police report notes that the accident was due to faulty brakes, and that I lost control of the vehicle and swerved to avoid a barricade, at which time I struck the parked vehicle (no passengers). The owner of that car lived in another state, and he was unable to produce any insurance at the time. This is basically everything on the police report. The officer gave me a sobriety test which I passed, and they let me and my “friend” go. I believe the police officer gave me a ticket for the faulty brakes, and one more. When I went to court for these tickets they were dropped because the other driver did not show up.

Now the owner of the other car’s insurance company wants me to pay them about $3550.00 for the property damages. I think my “friend” should have to pay this money. After all, the vehicle (and the faulty brakes) belonged him & his mother, and he lied to me and the arresting officers, producing an invalid insurance card both before and after the accident. I haven’t taken any action against him, and now I have to fill out and fax in a report to the Illinois Department of Transportation, Division of Traffic Safety by tomorrow, Tuesday September 24 or my license might be revoked!

Please help me or put me in touch with someone who can. First I need to know how to fill out this report to the Dept. of Trans. My first instinct was to copy exactly what the police report says, and not add anything else. Is this the right thing to do? I am willing to fax the police report over to you if you can help me or put me in contact with someone who can. If someone can at least answer this last question for me before tomorrow, it would be a great help.

Thank you...

racer72

As the driver, yes, you are at fault. I would suggest that you contact a local attorney, I see a lawsuit against you in the near future.

L

Lifeisfarout

have you notified your own insurance carrier? insurance follows the car but in this case since the vehicle you were driving didn't have a valid policy, your insurance would be primary. Unless, of course you have some sort of special policy language that excludes coverage in any other vehicle than the one listed on the declaration page. If you have a current policy it should cover the damage to the parked vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">