• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collision w/ dui driver - lowballed from ins. adjuster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

verdiben

Collision took place in Kings Beach, CA. The other driver pulled out in front of me. He had 10 beers before getting in car. Police reports finds him at fault and has forwarded his case to District Attorney. My vehicle is a 1990 Isuzu Trooper. The dui driver's insurance adjusters want to pay me $2700 for the vehicle. However, over the last year, I invested an additional $3200 in it to keep it on the road. This includes a new engine.

Do I have any leverage for getting back the $3200? Is there a reasonable amount that I should expect? Thank you for your time. This is a wonderful forum.

Ben

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

verdiben said:
Collision took place in Kings Beach, CA. The other driver pulled out in front of me. He had 10 beers before getting in car. Police reports finds him at fault and has forwarded his case to District Attorney. My vehicle is a 1990 Isuzu Trooper. The dui driver's insurance adjusters want to pay me $2700 for the vehicle. However, over the last year, I invested an additional $3200 in it to keep it on the road. This includes a new engine.

Do I have any leverage for getting back the $3200? Is there a reasonable amount that I should expect? Thank you for your time. This is a wonderful forum.

Ben
My response:

Let me ask you a question Ben. How many chances in your life do you think you'll ever make it to the "Big Spin" - - to really make a killing, to finally do something in your life that can, and will, make a difference ?

Don't be a chump. The adjuster is "taking you for a ride", hoping that you'll settle for chump change. Did you know, that in California, punitive damages are recoverable against drunk drivers ? (See Taylor v. Super. Ct. (Stille) (1979) 24 Cal.3d 890, 895-896, 157 Cal.Rptr. 693, 696)

This is your chance to do something, to make a statement, and get all the money you deserve. Why settle for chump change, when you can go for the "brass ring" ?

Immediately stop dealing with the adjuster and get yourself to a Personal Injury attorney in the morning. If you continue to deal with this matter on your own, you're bound to screw things up.

Go get him, and help to teach all drunk drivers that there's a big penalty to pay when they drink, drive and cause injury and property damages.

IAAL

J

Janrm

I agree with IAAL

I agree with IAAL. The Ins. Adj. works for this guy's ins. co. and he will pay you only what he is made to pay. You need someone experienced in these matters to work for you. An attorney will represent your best interests. Drunk driving is a big issue and will get the ins. co.'s attention real fast if an attorney handles it for you. Why should you lose your vehicle and/or it's value just because this person chose to break the law and risk the lives of you and others?! You abide by the law and you pay insurance. You should receive all that is due you. Hire a lawyer! I bet you can find one that will represent you with no chg. to you until you collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">