• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Van - Should I contact my insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tslayer

State: Ohio

I was involved in a accident while driving the company van. Almost two years later the company and I have been named in a law suit. Does the Companies insurance cover my lawyer, or do I need to contact my insurance company? After the accident I was told by my boss that I did not need to contact my insurance, that they would handle it. I have not heard anything about the accident since then.

Thanks in advance..

Bob

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your employer is correct.

You were named in the lawsuit, undoubtedly, because no one, at this point, knows whether or not you had an ownership interest in the vehicle. When all is known in this regard, you'll either be dropped from the lawsuit, or your attorney can make a motion to the court to have you dismissed out.

Assuming this was an accident, and you were not doing anything malicious with the vehicle, then your employer's insurance company owes you a defense because you were driving on company time, and the van belonged to your employer who, in the final analysis, bears full responsibility for your accident under the legal theory called "Respondeat Superior".

Just remember to fully, completely, and timely cooperate with the insurance company attorneys - - and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">