• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

compensation after accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SMB

Eleven days ago I was rear ended a half hour away from my home in Pennsylvania while on my way to visit friends. It was clearly the other drivers fault and I contacted his insurance company to handle it. His truck was fine bu my 92 Corolla was declared totaled and I am now in the process of arguing the value of the vehicle. My question, however, concerns the aggravation and time spent on this.
Rather than going to New York as planned, I spent 3-4 hours on the phone with the insurance companies, traveled back to the accident to wait to have the car towed and then went to the doctors to have my back checked as a precaution. I was without a rental car from the time of the accident(9:55 am Saturday 16th) until Monday the 18 at 5:00.
I was forced to take off from work Monday because of 1) whiplash and 2) telephone calls to the insurance company. I am now seeing a chiropractor twice a week to get my back straightened out. I am still having pain.
I am not interested in making a big deal out of this, but I feel that I should be compensated for the inconvience and aggravation that this has caused me, not to mention the time that I have spent sitting around the house twiddling my thumbs, waiting for phone calls to be returned. What should I expect and am I entitled to monetary compensation? Another quick question. The Wednesday before the accident, I had just spent $280 having two rust spots on the car taken car of. Am I entitled for that money back?

Thank you,
Susan

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

A savvy negotiator can get those rust spots as well. why? Because it probably either increased the value of the car or at least increased resale price.

SO, total all pain and suffering (proof via doctors notes and your own dated journal of daily pain); telephone call costs (circle them on your phone bill); time off work is your problem; rental car (of course you can collect); other repair costs, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">