• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compensation Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LYNNT

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have been injured in a rear-end car accident where the other party was at fault. I began having pain within a couple of days and headaches soon after so I went to see my Doctor. He diagnosed a sprain in the neck and a sprain in the lower lumbar region with inflammation. The other parties insurance company has given me a rental car and offered to pay for my 7 days off work and 500 dollars compensaiton. However a Chiropracter is saying that I may need thearpy and my mother said that my car- a 2004 cavaleir- has now depreciated due to being involved in an accident and the total 1,254.00 the insurance company is asking is to low. She and my husband feel that the 500 dollars in compensation is to low and I am being taken advantage of becauae I am a nice person? What does compenstaion for accidents usually comprise of?

L

LYNNT

I was really hoping it wouldn't have to come to that which is why I was trying to do a little research and find out what I was enitiled to. I don't want someone taking advantage of this situaion and trying to screw the insurance company but I don't want to be screwed either. My husbands advice is to get an attorney or ask for 5,000 for lost wages, car depreciation, pain and suffering, and chiropractic care.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

LYNNT said:
I was really hoping it wouldn't have to come to that which is why I was trying to do a little research and find out what I was enitiled to. I don't want someone taking advantage of this situaion and trying to screw the insurance company but I don't want to be screwed either. My husbands advice is to get an attorney or ask for 5,000 for lost wages, car depreciation, pain and suffering, and chiropractic care.

My response:

In essence, your husband is telling you to obtain a consultation - - just like I'm telling you. That way you can find out, first-hand, from a practitioner, all of the damages you may be entitled to obtain.

IAAL

lwpat

Your personal injury claim and the damage to your vehicle are actually two separate situations. The insurance company is responsible for repairing your car. Except in unusual cases you cannot collect for any "depreciation". Your best bet is to have one of their approved repair shops do all the work.

You need to always go to the emergency room. If you don't the insurance company will use this as proof that you were not injured, especially considering the limited amount of damage to your vehicle. It is normal for injuries such as yours to not show up for several days after the accident.

Your other mistake is in not seeing a medical doctor. Insurance companies have a low opinion of chiropractors and will resist paying for their services. To collect more than what they have offered will probably require the assistance of an attorney.

You can check with your local magistrate and file up to the small claims limit against the other driver. While you can do this yourself you do need to at least pay an attorney to review the paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">