• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated insurance issue in Colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s90236a

Last November I bought a used 2013 Subaru Outback and took it down to an auto shop to have the transmission fluid change and differential fluid change. They forgot to put the differential fluid in my car which caused the car to break down when traveling on highway.

I called State Farm, my insurance provider to have the car towed to an auto shop. The tow truck driver had a hard time getting the car on the trailer and it eventually slipped off of it and caused body damage.

We first filed a claim regarding the body damage. About a week ago our mechanic called us and let us know the breakdown was caused by the previous auto shop and they had their insurance Farmers involved.

Today Farmers sent an adjuster to the shop where we had our car towed to do an estimate and inspection. He determined my car has high mileage so Farmers will only be willing to replace with a used tranny and wrote out a check to the auto shop right at the spot. The used unit only comes with 6 months warranty and after that we are on our own.

It's been a depressing month for us because we have to deal with so many insurance companies. Now they're only willing to pay for a used one with hardly any warranty. The adjuster suggested me contact my own insurance provider, State Farm, to start another claim regarding this mechanical breakdown so I might be able to get a new tranny and they will go after Farmers afterward. I filed a claim but later on was told it's a mechanical breakdown not collision so they're unable to process this claim.
What else can I do? Should I just accept Farmers' offer and put that used tranny in my car and pray it won't break down anytime soon or there's a better way to sort this thing out?
I really need advice. Please help me

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You said the shop forgot to put in differential fluid but did you really mean transmission fluid?

Lack of differential fluid shouldn't cause the transmission to fail.

s90236a

You said the shop forgot to put in differential fluid but did you really mean transmission fluid?

Lack of differential fluid shouldn't cause the transmission to fail.
No I meant differential fluid. I'm no car expert. The mechanic said the shop forgot to add rear differential fluid to the car which eventually caused a part inside the tranny to break. The adjuster went there today to do an inspection and agreed with the problem being caused by no differential fluid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">