• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated Wrongful Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HELPLESSINAZ

Arizona

I am looking for advice on a complicated matter involving the death of both of my parents that happened while they were vacationing in another state at this time last year. They were on a highway on the coast in Oregon and were hit head on by a young man (22 yrs.old) who was on an errand for his employer. He was going approx. 90 mph and lost control on a curve. He also had a bag of pot in his pants but is not being charged for that because there is no proof that he was actually intoxicated at the time.
He was driving his own vehicle and his insurance company has offered us, a family of 11, $50,000.00 for our loss. The employers let their liability insurance run out 2 months prior and are a small company with not much to their names. They were on a job (pest control) for a large resort. Who is responsible and what are our options besides the settlement, if any? I have heard of other cases of insurance companies settling for well beyond the policy limits of their insured in the cases of death. Why is it that they are offering so little for so much? :confused:

racer72

You are being offered the policy limits for the insured. The insurance company is under no obligation to pay anymore. If you feel the offer is not enough, you will have to sue. Even in cases of large judgmements, the insurance companies only pay to the insured's limits, the insured is responsible for the rest. You need the services of a personal injury attorney, see one soon.

M

macktosh

Who is responsible and what are our options besides the settlement-----------

Lets turn the tables around for this one.

You need to sue the kid, plus the owner of the business, and get a judgment against them..... heck their parents will die too, so maybe they will leave them some cash or property, and you would have to be paid first.

Interesting thought.

H

HELPLESSINAZ

Very interesting indeed, hadn't thought about that. The guy has quite a record for reckless driving, restraining orders, etc. Not exactly a winner. However, here's the interesting part...he had some injuries from the accident (broke both legs, I believe) and as the ambulance took him away -- the ambulance got in an accident! I think his mom has filed a worker's comp claim for $100K and possibly a suit against the ambulance co. so we're looking into that. My brother is in charge of all this so I'm in the dark and just doing some research on my own. Thanks for your advice. Anything else you can think of would be much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">