• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting Assured Clear Distance citation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DBruce2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My 17 year old son was recently cited for an assured clear distance violation in Hudson, Ohio. The "accident" took place at 4:45pm on icy roads near our home. The car in front of him stopped to turn left into the same street he was also turning left into and as he was nearing a stop behind the vehicle he hit a patch of black ice and slid into the back of the other car. It was estimated that he was travelling at less than TWO miles per hour at the time of the accident and neither vehicle sustained any damage. Neither driver was injured in any way. The 25 year old my son "hit" attempted to file a claim with his insurance carrier (same carrier that I have) and the adjuster denied the claim as he was unable to find any damage or injuries due to the accident. And yet my son was cited.

Can i contest this? The vehicles literally just touched.....and this was on an icy road at dusk.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My 17 year old son was recently cited for an assured clear distance violation in Hudson, Ohio. The "accident" took place at 4:45pm on icy roads near our home. The car in front of him stopped to turn left into the same street he was also turning left into and as he was nearing a stop behind the vehicle he hit a patch of black ice and slid into the back of the other car. It was estimated that he was travelling at less than TWO miles per hour at the time of the accident and neither vehicle sustained any damage. Neither driver was injured in any way. The 25 year old my son "hit" attempted to file a claim with his insurance carrier (same carrier that I have) and the adjuster denied the claim as he was unable to find any damage or injuries due to the accident. And yet my son was cited.

Can i contest this? The vehicles literally just touched.....and this was on an icy road at dusk.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The proof of the violation was the accident...

Being on an icy road at dusk means you have to allow MORE room.

DBruce2

still confused

But that's my point/question. Is touching the vehicle in front of you without causing any damage or injuries considered an "accident"? If so, then is it an "accident" when someone parks their car and touches the bumper of the vehicle behind them? Does any contact, no matter how minor, constitute an "accident"?

ecmst12

If your car touches another car, it's a collision. Even if there is no damage. If you are driving properly and exercising due care and proper follow distance, your car will never contact another car.

FlyingRon

Bump drafting is only allowed on NASCAR tracks.
On the highway you're expected not to touch other cars.

hgold413

Fight it !!!!!!!!

YES CONTEST IT!!!!

You can win this! I was driving home from work one night at 2:30am and I was involved in an accicdent on a dark road. The person I hit was in my lane of traffic. His car was facing me, he was literally parked in my lane asleep in the middle of the road (his lights were out and he was drunk), I was coming down a hill and around a turn and hit him full force.

I was told at the scene I was not at fualt, but few days latter I recieved a ciation in the mail stating the assured clear distance violation, I WAS FLOORED.

Do your home work, take pictures of the scene explain to the judge how fast you were going and that there was an ice patch. Give the pictures to the judge. I even went back to the scene and took a movie at 2:30am and explained to the judge that how difficult it would have been able for anyone to stop.

You CAN FIGHT THIS, it sounds like you are no in the wrong and if you do'nt your insurance is going to up. It is a 3 point violation in PA.

Good Luck!!

ecmst12

OP is not in PA, and he is at fault just as you were. Getting out of a ticket doesn't mean you didn't do something wrong.

racer72

YES CONTEST IT!!!!

You can win this! I was driving home from work one night at 2:30am and I was involved in an accicdent on a dark road. The person I hit was in my lane of traffic. His car was facing me, he was literally parked in my lane asleep in the middle of the road (his lights were out and he was drunk), I was coming down a hill and around a turn and hit him full force.

I was told at the scene I was not at fualt, but few days latter I recieved a ciation in the mail stating the assured clear distance violation, I WAS FLOORED.

Do your home work, take pictures of the scene explain to the judge how fast you were going and that there was an ice patch. Give the pictures to the judge. I even went back to the scene and took a movie at 2:30am and explained to the judge that how difficult it would have been able for anyone to stop.

You CAN FIGHT THIS, it sounds like you are no in the wrong and if you do'nt your insurance is going to up. It is a 3 point violation in PA.

Good Luck!!
Your case is totally different, the person you hit was violating many laws. The person the OP hit was not. Big, no make that huge difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">