• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosmetic damage from rear driver. My options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MKeller

What is the name of your state? New York

Was on the expressway, traffic moving but moving slowly.
Someone was tailgating me from the back.
She ended up bumping into my rear.
It was only strong enough to do some light cosmetic damage (some spots of paint on both our cars).
Rolled down my window and stuck my arm out to give a "what the hell.." gesture. She returned a "sorry!" gesture with her hand.

I didn't stop the car, I kept driving.
She followed me for about 10 minutes and then broke off I assume to her exit.
There's no police report or anything, I just wanted some money from her for the light cosmetic damage to my rear bumper.

Do I have any options to get that money (or find the driver)?
(Or, am I even entitled to that money?)

Last edited:

B

BreanaLee

MKeller said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Was on the expressway, traffic moving but moving slowly.
Someone was tailgating me from the back.
She ended up bumping into my rear.
It was only strong enough to do some light cosmetic damage (some spots of paint on both our cars).
Rolled down my window and stuck my arm out to give a "what the hell.." gesture. She returned a "sorry!" gesture with her hand.

I didn't stop the car, I kept driving.
She followed me for about 10 minutes and then broke off I assume to her exit.
There's no police report or anything, I just wanted some money from her for the light cosmetic damage to my rear bumper.

Do I have any options to get that money (or find the driver)?
(Or, am I even entitled to that money?)
Um...if you kept driving, then apparently the incident wasn't important enough to make a report on, or even to inspect the damages...why are you concerned about the money for repairs now?

MKeller

You guys are right. I'll just forget about it since none of it was really serious.

But the incident has gotten me a little curious.

What steps should I take if it were to ever happen again (same conditions, just some slight cosmetic damage, some scratches)?

Keeping in mind we're both in heavy traffic that's moving, but moving slowly (less than 5mph) so I don't want to block an entire lane just for a bump.

abaga

MKeller said:
You guys are right. I'll just forget about it since none of it was really serious.

But the incident has gotten me a little curious.

What steps should I take if it were to ever happen again (same conditions, just some slight cosmetic damage, some scratches)?

Keeping in mind we're both in heavy traffic that's moving, but moving slowly (less than 5mph) so I don't want to block an entire lane just for a bump.
Okay, I'm not an attorney, but I'll take a stab at this one...

Pull off at the closest exit or on the shoulder and call the police to file a report!

analytical1

If a minor fender bender with no injuries is called in to a dispatcher to send police...they just might not send anyone.

My advice... pull over nearest safe spot, take pictures if you have a camera in the car (or use a picture phone), exchange insurance information, and get the plate number.

You can then go to the nearest police station and file a report on your own.

If other driver refuses to stop....get description of the vehicle, plate number if you can, and call police. It then may be considered "a hit and run".

Just my opinion and nothing more.

B

BreanaLee

If the traffic is barely moving, why not motion or holler for the other driver to pull off? Or, if you're at a stand still, get out and ask them to getoff at the nearest exit so that you two can assess the damages together.

If you both determine that you don't mind a bit of paint missing, fine...go along your merry way. Keep in mind, though, that if anything happens later (like a stiff neck or something like that) you'll be responsible for taking care of things.

If one or both of you think a police report is required (I would definately recommend this for almost ANY vehicle incidents), then by all means, call the cops. They can make sure that you exchange valid and accurate information, such as insurance, names, vehicle tags, etc. and can also (most likely) determine fault. (That's always good for insurance purposes.)

Beyond that, your insurance company and the police can tell you what to do.

Edit: Pictures are always a good idea, too, as the above poster said.

abaga

analytical1 said:
If a minor fender bender with no injuries is called in to a dispatcher to send police...they just might not send anyone.

My advice... pull over nearest safe spot, take pictures if you have a camera in the car (or use a picture phone), exchange insurance information, and get the plate number.

You can then go to the nearest police station and file a report on your own.

If other driver refuses to stop....get description of the vehicle, plate number if you can, and call police. It then may be considered "a hit and run".

Just my opinion and nothing more.
To add one more thing to this advice....also take a picture of the other persons insurance card. That way, they can't say they never had an accident with you..how else would you have a picture of the insurance card if you weren't involved in the accident??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">