• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Costs beyond what insurance covers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

webster

What is the name of your state? CA

My car was totaled when it was parked on the street in front of my house by an out-of-control driver. She left the scene of the accident, but later called the police and reported it. She provided all of her information, but it later turned out there was a lapse in her insurance and she wasn't covered.
My uninsured motorist insurance covered the total loss value of my vehicle, but not the costs for my rental car and towing and storage of the totaled car before it was sold for salvage.
Is it worth suing her for these costs (approx. $1400)?
I have heard that these costs are my responsibility since it was my choice not to buy insurance coverage for these items and even if she had insurance, it would only cover the damage to my vehicle.

Zetetick

It is always worth the effort to recover loses due to someelse negligence.
You should pursue this in small claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">