• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I be held accountable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigger22472

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I sold a car to what used to be a friend. When he took possession of the car in Aug. he got it on a Saturday. I left the plates on it and signed the title over thinking it would be done soon. There are conflicting reports as to if the car is even still running but at any rate I went yesterday and retrieved the plates to the car. However I know the car is still registered in my name. If they were to take this car and have an accident or get pulled over for illegal plates(if they put different ones on) can I still be held liable? I asked a lady at the DMV and her answer was "I don't think so." I explained to her that if I were to file for a lost title it would still come back to me so by state standards I still own the car. I'm just trying to make sure my rear is covered. I have no proof of payment(which there was none.. another story) or a copy of the signed title.

L

Liquidbee

I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me on this.

If he gets into an accident, the drive would be liable for the accident, and not the owner of the car.

That's the rule in California

K

knotcops

Liquidbee said:
I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me on this.

If he gets into an accident, the drive would be liable for the accident, and not the owner of the car.

That's the rule in California

..........Then why post a response if your not sure?

tigger22472

No I didnt' file a bill of sale.. I never have before. But the link you gave me was for California. I live in Indiana... does that make a difference?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">