• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Tomorrow!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kaletay

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was involved in my first (and hopefully only) accident on July 29. I was making a left turn from a 4 lane divided highway onto a residential street. There was a green light. A truck made the turn mere seconds before me. I don't remember if there was a vehicle in the opposite turn lane that blocked my view. It was also dusk and I was traveling west into the sun - but don't remember if there was a glare. I had slowed enough to stop prior to making the turn, never saw any oncoming traffic. Yet I (in my new Honda Civic) was struck on the passenger side by an oncoming 1974 van. I was spun around several times and quite disoriented before coming to a stop in a lady's front yard- any other details about the accident are very hazy. I have been charged with "failure to yeild - left turn" and the court date is tomorrow. I have spoken to an attorney - briefly - and he suggested I plead not-guilty or no contest. I don't know which would be best - or how to defend myself with a not-guilty plea. Nor do I have any idea what to expect in court. There were no witnesses who stuck around to speak to the police. One of the officers at the scene was unnecessarily rude and looked for every thing possible to charge me with - the other officer was decent and had some compassion. The officers did not measure skid marks or ask the other driver how fast he was traveling. My car is totalled and the van's bumper fell off.

I have barely slept through the night since this happened. I don't want anything to happen to the other guy - but I know that I didn't "fail to yield." What do I do and say in court that might reduce the charge?

Any advice is appreciated!

A

ampex

just explain it to a judge that way and you were blinded by the sunlight and take your chances...

you could plead not guilty and ask for a continuance to get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">