• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

coverage through VISA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

floralswag

What is the name of your state? Washington

Last month a rental car I was driving was hit by another vehicle that slid on an icey road. We have some sort of coverage through VISA because we used a VISA to pay for the rental car.

My husband and I have both called VISA at different times and talked to different people and gotten different information about whether or not our insurance company will be involved in this at all. The VISA person told my husband that VISA takes care of everything and only calls our regular insurance to find out the coverage. The person I talked to said that VISA only pays the deductible and our regular insurance pays the rest (assuming money is owed by us, which I doubt it would be since we were not at fault).

What I'm hoping is someone else here who may have used VISA coverage for their rental car can tell me to what degree VISA handles the claim and to what degree our insurance handles the claim? This is of concern to me because we have moved out of the country and must get new and different auto insurance soon, and I don't want the fact that we are switching insurance in the middle of this process to screw anything up with the rental car claim.

lwpat

Did you take out any insurance through the rental company?

Do you have "drive other vehicle" coverage on your auto insurance?

Did you obtain a police report that indicated the other driver was 100% at fault?

robmpulse

If you took the LDW offered by the rental company, and did not have a contract violation, then you are fine.

If not...... then it makes no difference who was at fault, the rental company will be calling you if they have so much as little resistance from the 3rd party.

If you have personal auto insurance, and have coverage for a non owned auto, or policy language that adopts the rental as an owned auto, then they are primary. And your visa coverage will only pay the deductable.

Do you have an endorsement to cover the extra fees form the rental agency, like the loss of use, admin, etc? If not, and your carrier has to pay, with visa picking up your deductabel, then you still may be stuck paying the "extra" fees.

This will not change if you change carriers now. You coverage is already established as of the date of loss.

Visa does not handle calaims actively. They will wait for you to call to do anything, everytime something new comes up. You also need to check to make sure if there is a deadline to set up a claim. If there is, and you have not reached it yet, then you should set up a claim, even if you don't need it as of yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">