• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

covered by contractor insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DRAKE1029

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I had a company install a new roof on my house. They supposedly cleaned up everything and left. They left a 2ft X 4ft piece of plywood that happened to have a nail sticking up. Of course, I walked around and stepped on the nail, going thru my shoe, into my foot. Since my wife is a nurse, We just treated it at home. I limped around for a couple of days, but it is OK now.

I notified the company and all they asked if I got a tetnus shot. I haven't paid them yet. What kind of leverage to I have to hold back partial payment on them or do I just ask for their insurance company? Can someone suggest a possible amount?

HomeGuru

DRAKE1029 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
I had a company install a new roof on my house. They supposedly cleaned up everything and left. They left a 2ft X 4ft piece of plywood that happened to have a nail sticking up. Of course, I walked around and stepped on the nail, going thru my shoe, into my foot. Since my wife is a nurse, We just treated it at home. I limped around for a couple of days, but it is OK now.

I notified the company and all they asked if I got a tetnus shot. I haven't paid them yet. What kind of leverage to I have to hold back partial payment on them or do I just ask for their insurance company? Can someone suggest a possible amount?
**A: your homeowner's insurance and your medical insurance would have covered such a claim. You have no grounds to hold back payment.

JETX

And don't even TRY to tell us that you didn't see this 24" x 48" piece of wood!!
And since you obviously DID see it, why didn't you at least look at it (and hopefully pick it up) instead of stepping on it???
Stupidity is not legally actionable.

K

knotcops

HG,
The medical portion of a homeowners policy covers medical payments to others (regardless of liability) but not the homeowner themselves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">