• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crashed car while test driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smadhukrishna

Hi,

I wanted a small used car since I have got my license only a few days back. A dealer promised to show me a Dodge Neon but drove up to my house in a Mercury Grand Marquis and said he was taking me to see the Neon. But once i was inside the car, he told me he wanted me to see the Grand Marquis.

For the next 15 mins, i tried saying No in all ways except short of screaming at him and telling him to stop the car - but he kept insisting that i would be able to handle the Marquis and then he insisted that i take it in a drive around the road. I crashed the car into his dealership entrance and the bumper had to be replaced.

The dealer made me swipe my credit card for 1000$ after informing that the charges would be between 500-1000$ and he said this was because i didn't have any insurance. He also promised verbally that he'll put half of whatever i pay towards any used car i buy from his lot.

But now he's got back with charges of 1200$ and says his insurance deductible is 1200$ and that i have to pay atleast that.

Is there anything i can do?

I am new to the country, didn't know much of the laws and i think i was too polite to say "No" forcefully when i knew i couldn't handle the car. But the dealer clearly accepted that his salesperson was also at fault since that guy never did end up showing me the Neon.

Sorry for the sob story - is there any way i can get a little bit of my money back - 1000$ is a huuuge amount for me.

Thanks.

stephenk

have him present to you in writing the repair estimate and his policy showing the deductible he must pay. If neither is provided, sue the dealer in small claims court for your money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">