• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crashed friend's car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

murface2

Hi, I live in california. About a year and two months ago I crashed my friend's car (i had permission to drive and she was in the passenger seat). It was totaled, but her insurance claimed to pay for everything -- including the structural damage done by me onto the building I hit. I thought that was sorted, and everything was fine for about a year. I didn't have to pay anything.

Now I am getting sued by the owner of the building I hit -- without warning, along with my friend, and a third party that I don't know. I am guessing that insurance is being difficult (that may very well be the third party).

What i need to know is how liable i personally am for the damage done.

Thanks a lot

ecmst12

You may be liable for costs over and above your friend's insurance policy limits. Do you have your own car and insurance? If so, your insurance may provide coverage if your friend's insurance is exhausted.

What you need to do right now is notify your friend's insurance company of the suit IMMEDIATELY. Yesterday if possible. They will defend both of you up to the policy limits. How much are you being sued for and how much coverage does your friend have? I think the minimum property damage liability coverage in CA is only $5k.

murface2

I did not have insurance at the time (i think july '06). I got it in February 07.

The damages would unlikely be more than $5k... i made a tiny dent in a wall. She had 3rd party structural insurance on the car, hence everyone agreed that they would pay. I have no idea what's happening now. I shall speak with my parents about notifying their insurance. I believe this is the insurance company trying to escape costs.

If it was below the cost of what her insurance would cover, I would not be liable -- correct?

Thanks alot

ecmst12

There is no deductible on liability coverage. They will pay from $0 up until the policy limit. I don't know what your parents have to do with it, you need to notify the car owner's insurance ASAP so that they can defend you.

alnorth

As mentioned above, call the insurance company immediately. I wouldnt panic until your friend's insurance company gives you a reason to panic (e.g. the accident is not covered for some reason, or they are sueing for way more than the policy limits.)

Sometimes its just as simple as the insurance company making an offer, the other side doesnt like it and decides to turn on the pressure by sueing the insured, to hopefully force a better settlement offer out of the insurance company to keep it out of court.

murface2

Yeah i will today. This is ridiculous, i just got the documents - i'm being sued for over 25,000 dollars for a small dent in the wall.. by my school board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">