• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody ofa legal guardianship child after a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHinTX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

11 years ago, my wife and I became legal guardians of her brother's daughter. The parents have completely abandoned her, no court ordered child support was paid, no contact by either parent in 8 years.

My wife and I are now headed for a divorce, and she has in mind to take this child ( the other 2 are over 18 and can make up their own minds) and relocate to AZ from TX, pretty well cutting me out of their life.

Do I have any thing to stand on to contest this?

Other than this HUGE issue, this is a "friendly" separation - no abuse, no cheating, no addictions etc, just 2 people that have gone completely different directions and don;t want to be unfair to each other or mess our kids up while we go our own ways.

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">