• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custom truck, Total loss what can I do,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ISELLSPEED

What is the name of your state? Pa
I have a 1996 Chevy Truck that was hit in the right front. Driver of other car was at fault, given a ticket for failure to yield, His insurance CO has taking full responsibility.
My question is....
It is a custom truck with about 7500.00 in custom parts installed over the past 2 years, they are only willing to give me book value @ 6500.00, this truck could not be duplicated for under 12,000.00**************.What can I do.
Please any info would help,

Just thought some would get a chuckle out of this 1, @ the body shop the adjuster offers me 500.00 for my aggravation, says just a little money to help out, 2 days no work, so I say OK, he hands me a check and asks me to sign a paper, THE PAPER RELEASED HIS CO AND THERE INSURED OF ALL LAWSUITS, I said he was crazy, he responded we must of had a misunderstanding......Ya to say the least.

ecmst12

I'm confused, did you sign the paper?

If you have the receipts from the parts, you may be able to get the (depreciated) value of them added to the property damage reimbursement. Of course don't expect to get the full amount that you paid for the part 2 years ago though. But it's better than nothing. If you don't have the paperwork/documentation of the parts you want to claim though, you're out of luck.

ISELLSPEED

no way did I sign that paper, and yes have all receipts and needed documents, but they are not willing to move on price. They said NADA and the red book average, but those books do not include any aftermarke parts, and base it on a reginal average, similar trucks on ebay go for 12-15 grand, Told me I should have a binder with my co to cover custom parts, but my co is not involved since it is 100 % on there client, and no I do not have a binder, lucky enough to be able to insure in a big city.

Shay-Pari'e

I have a truck that we have customed out to the max. Insurance will not pay above and beyond the actual retail of the truck.

When you and I choose to do this, it is up to your insurance to recognize and accept the upgrades.

In my case, my 4 inch lift is not something they will cover.

Hope that helps.

ecmst12

You can certainly take them to court over the cost of the parts. If it was YOUR insurance company, you could be out of luck if you didn't add a rider to your policy to cover the modifications (which is a good idea for the future if you want to customize another truck), but it's NOT your insurance company. The person who hit you is liable for fair market value of the truck they destroyed, including the value of the modifications, if you can prove their worth.

The problem is that this is going to exceed the small claims court limit, so you'd have to pay for a lawyer to sue the other driver in regular court. It's a significant amount of money so it *might* be worth it. It's at least worth consulting a lawyer in your area to see how much his fee would be (probably wouldn't work on contingency for a property damage case) and what he thinks your chances would be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">