• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

d of California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dofCA

In California. My husband barely rearended a car on the freeway and no damage to either car. The other guy wanted to report it. My husband flagged down a CHP and a report was made. No information was exchanged between the two parties, only the police report. I've never been in an accident so I'm not sure what to do.
1.) Do we have to report it to our insurance co?
2.) What steps should we be taking?
Thanks,
dofCA

mlk1978

dofCA said:
In California. My husband barely rearended a car on the freeway and no damage to either car. The other guy wanted to report it. My husband flagged down a CHP and a report was made. No information was exchanged between the two parties, only the police report. I've never been in an accident so I'm not sure what to do.
1.) Do we have to report it to our insurance co?
2.) What steps should we be taking?
Thanks,
dofCA

If I were you and I advise my clients. Only report a claim if you intend to file for damages. If not, dont tell them because your rates may increase. Now if you recieve paperwork for a lawsuite. Then yeah call them. Otherwise let is go for now.

dofCA

Thanks for the reply however, if the other driver contacts his insurance co and they advise him to go seek medical attention and we haven't contacted our insurance co - what then?

teflon_jones

dofCA said:
Thanks for the reply however, if the other driver contacts his insurance co and they advise him to go seek medical attention and we haven't contacted our insurance co - what then?
Who knows. You're asking questions about what might happen with no facts. If something does happen, come back here and post. It's impossible to answer your questions without any facts.

mlk1978

Most likely their own insurance company will pay for the medical expenses. If their insurance company contacts your insurance company, then you can file the claim then. They probobly wont ask you why you didn't file it sooner, if they do, just tell them that it was minor and you were wanting to take care of it yourself.

Litigation!

dofCA said:

My response:

I you believe that the damages, to yours AND his vehicle, will reach or exceed $750.00, then you must fill out and file a form SR-1. Go to the California DMV site to fill it out on-line and send.

It's the law.

IAAL

dofCA

Rearend in Calif.

I want to thank all who responded. It was big help and relief. I guess we just wait and see if our insurance co. contacts us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">