• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dad injured in accident caused by state trooper

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tanya_H

What is the name of your state?
Alabama

My dad rides with another to work. He was the passenger in a car. A state trooper pulled right out in front of them in an accident that was obviously his fault. My dad initially only felt a small amount of pain in his back and denied medical care. Before he could get home (almost two hours away) he was in alot of pain and went to the ER. They diagnosed him with a compression lumbar fracture. He is having to wear a back brace for six weeks to see if it will heal on its own and if it does not then he will have to have back surgery. Is this something I should urge him to pursue?

seniorjudge

Q: Is this something I should urge him to pursue?

A: No. It doesn't sound like there were permanent and serious physical injuries.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Q: Is this something I should urge him to pursue?

A: No. It doesn't sound like there were permanent and serious physical injuries.
SJ - he absolutely SHOULD pursue it...or are you saying that the at-fault party has no responsibility to pay for medical required due to the accident/incident?

ecmst12

SJ - are you kidding? A spinal fracture potentially requiring surgery NOT SERIOUS???

OP - Your father should consult a lawyer. His injury is pretty significant and if he needs surgery that will be even MORE significant. The at-fault party should cover his medical bills, lost wages, and possibly a settlement for pain and suffering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">