• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage to Car due to pothole in parking lot.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bynumj

I live in Oregon. My was driving my new car and was parking in a parking lot. She was pulling into the parking spot and there was a pothole so deep that the front of the car was damaged (my new mustang :mad:). Is the owner of the cafe she was going to responsible for keeping the parking lot in good condition? Can I make them pay for the damage to my car? If the cafe she was going to does not own the parking lot, does the owner become responsible?

ecmst12

Not likely. Whoever was driving the car is responsible for not paying attention and avoiding the pothole.

ecmst12

This would be collision though, not comp. The car was moving and hit a stationary "object" (the hole).

Betty

Agree, there are many potholes out there & it is the driver's responsibility to watch for & avoid them.

hazel813

Similar scenario: My landlord refuses to fix potholes on my driveway (shared with 3 other tenants who drive crappy cars and therefore don't care), stating that the potholes "keep people from speeding" through the area. No one speeds down the driveway, and it should be noted that when the landlord herself lived in one of these apartments, the roads were kept in working order. Now that she no longer lives there, they are a disaster.

I just bought a brand new car which is lower than the truck I used to drive, so the potholes are a big problem. I have hit the bottom of my car (stock height, btw, I have not lowered the car at all) several times now, and there is NO WAY to avoid the potholes. Why?

Because my landlord has put GIANT ROCKS and railroad ties on either side of them, basically forcing me to damage my vehicle. I can not imagine that I have no recourse here. Someone please help! (I'm in FL, if it helps.)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Similar scenario: My landlord refuses to fix potholes on my driveway (shared with 3 other tenants who drive crappy cars and therefore don't care), stating that the potholes "keep people from speeding" through the area. No one speeds down the driveway, and it should be noted that when the landlord herself lived in one of these apartments, the roads were kept in working order. Now that she no longer lives there, they are a disaster.

I just bought a brand new car which is lower than the truck I used to drive, so the potholes are a big problem. I have hit the bottom of my car (stock height, btw, I have not lowered the car at all) several times now, and there is NO WAY to avoid the potholes. Why?

Because my landlord has put GIANT ROCKS and railroad ties on either side of them, basically forcing me to damage my vehicle. I can not imagine that I have no recourse here. Someone please help! (I'm in FL, if it helps.)
Don't Hijack threads...start your own.

hazel813

Um...... ok? Every other forum I post on says "Don't start a new thread - this is already being discussed here (insert link)", so I wasn't aware of this rule. My apologies. And thanks for the reply, I guess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">