• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage to rental car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jammin

What is the name of your state?GA

I was driving a rental car and while backing out of a parking lot, the left front side got damaged by a pole that I had backed into. I did not buy the car rental's insurance as I had carried over my regular insurance. The car rental company told me I needed to pay them my $500 deductible on the spot - which I did not have - so they took my deposit ($150) and told me to expect to hear from their loss prevention re the remaining balance. Can anyone give ANY advice on how to handle this kind of thing - as I am lost and has never been in an accident before. Thank you.

racer72

The rental company is now going to come after you for the $350 plus a few other things that your insurance company will not cover such as loss of revenue for the period the car is not available to rent and possibly loss of value due to the damage you caused. Don't be surprised when their loss prevention folks claim to be attorneys and tack on legal fees too. That $40 or so you thought you saved on the Loss Damage Waiver you could have purchased is going to look like a pretty good deal here shortly.

Jammin

Hey thanks for the info.....

Well if that is so I am screwed. I cannot pay all that. What will they do if I cannot pay pay for all that? Is there any way to get them to reduce the costs they possibly might add on?

Who's Liable?

no... there is no negotiating now...

Since you did NOT buy the rental car coverage, you agreed to pay for the deductible within 24 hrs., plus the cost of repairing the rental car and any fee associated with it... Where did you agree? By NOT buying their insurance, read the small print in your contract...

They will sue your for the amount owed, if you do not pay, they can and will tack it on to your credit report...

If only you would've paid the extra $10/day, you would've saved a miniumum of $500!

stephenk

Did you rent the car with a credit card (hopefully a gold card or American Express)? If yes, your card most likely had the collision damage coverage as part of your card's benefits. Contact your credit card company.

You should also notify your own insurance company of the loss. They will pay for the repairs plus the down time for the car while it is getting fixed. There is no diminished value to the car for minor damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">