• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage to vehicle due to argument

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

State: KS

Not sure if this is the correct area for this post, but here goes.

Yesterday, my 22yr old son and his girlfriend had a fight. She punched his car bumper in anger, and then he did the same to hers; only he left a dent. They broke up over the situation. She and her father have 1 estimate for fixing it, replacing the entire piece for over $1000. We have advised him to tell her to give him 2 other estimates and they will agree to the amount to be paid. The dent can be popped out and should not cost anywhere near this much. There was no police report filed.

My question is: 'Does he have to pay whatever they tell him? Or are we correct in asking for estimates, just as we would if he had hit her car with his car.

She is unable to file it with her insurance as this would be the 2nd claim filed in the past 12 months. I have a feeling that these people will try to take my son for a ride and cost him money he really does not have. He has already told the girl that he would pay her $500 (his tax refund.)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
sfrewerd

Last edited:

JETX

Does he have to pay whatever they tell him? Or are we correct in asking for estimates, just as we would if he had hit her car with his car.
First, assuming that your son is an adult, YOU have no standing in this matter.

As for HIM.... he can certainly ask for additional estimates. And can refuse to reimburse if they don't. And then if they don't, they can file a lawsuit against him..... and try to explain to a court why they refused to get more than one.

stephenk

"She and her father have 1 estimate for fixing it, replacing the entire piece for over $1000. "

That is all they have to provide as proof of damage. There is no requirement that they have to drive around town getting more than one estimate for the damage so that your son can choose the estimate he likes.

Here is the rub. Since your son intentionally hit the car, his own insurance company won't cover the damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">