• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage to vehicle on a military base

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bobcat23tx

I'm in Texas..

While parked on a US Military base my SUV was hit by a military dependant. The tailight was broken, numerous scratches were made and other some what minor damnage was done. Since I can not legaly drive the vehicle I might need a rental car. The damage alone is >$200 dollars.

I filed a report with the base police and contacted his insurance company. The company told me I would have to wait untill they verified my claim with their customer. That was 5 days ago.

My insurance will cover it, but I'd have to pay the 250 dollar deductible (Which I can not afford to pay out of pocket) and it doesn't appear that the insured party will be contacting their insurance company.

How do I get my vehicle fixed? Is there any options I'm missing?

H

hexeliebe

Yes, Contact your insurance company, get the suv repaired then sue the offender in small claims court for the deductable.

B

bobcat23tx

ummm.. perhaps you missed it..

Perhaps you missed the part where I can't afford the 250 dollar deductible... Next please?

H

hexeliebe

Perhaps you missed the part where I said Contact your insurance company.

Otherwise, if you don't do anything, you deserve what happens, which is nothing. Now, want to continue being a smart ass or do you want to sit around pissing and moaning until this claim gets so old that you lose your legal rights to do anything.

B

bobcat23tx

Ok, obviously I'm going to have to go to my legal office for information and assistance.

May be I was not clear enough in my first post. Mabey I should be asking is there any different laws that pertain as it happened on a military base..

Regardles, their was no need for the flaming sir (and I use the term only out of consideration for my elders). Your tact and professionalism really shown through there.... Now that is me being a smart ass.

I really hope your not a lawyer. From what I've read from you, the quality of your advice would probably leave you starving in the cold.

Good Day.

H

hexeliebe

Mabey I should be asking is there any different laws that pertain as it happened on a military base..
Yes, this is the question that you should have asked to begin with. And the answer is No, there is not difference.

As to the flaming, I gave you the only answer to the only question you asked. If you don't like it that's up to you. You're not being able to afford the $250 deductable is irrevelant. You have no other options.

L

loocpoc

Sue the dependent or the military member for the cost of the repairs in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">