• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

damaged engine after theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smantas

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello,

My 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V-8 was stolen and recovered about a month ago.

It was towed to a shop where the insurance adjuster came out and authorized a steering column to be replaced. The adjuster also told the shop to "fix anything else it needs". The adjuster also called me and told me the same thing. This truck had a full tank of gas when stolen and not a drop left in it when recovered.

When the shop was able to start it, there was an engine noise. The shop called the adjuster to notify him of it, and the adjuster told the shop without even coming out to hear it, that Triple A would not cover it.....period.

well I called the insurance and set up for another adjuster to come out and the shop could not really say where it was coming from. They suspected an internal problem in the timing area. The insurance called me and told me that I would have to authorize the front of the engine tear down, as they would not cover that, and if it was determined that the cause was due to the theft that they would cover it.

Well, I wanted some other opinions before doing that so I picked up the truck and went to a several other mechanics, all of which told me that it sounded like a bad lifter or rocker arm...

I settled on one mechanic that I got the best price from (in case the insurance wouldnt cover it) and he had 4 of his mechanics listen to it....2 of them thought it was a simple lifter problem while the other 2 thought it was internal and I had to authorize them to pull the valve cover off for inspection to rule out a bad lifter or rocker arm.

The adjuster that went out there that day showed up before they had a chance to take the rocker cover off to inspect the lifters and told the shop he would be in contact later that day.....which he never called or came back.

The shop called me back and informed me that the lifters and rocker arms are in good shape and the inside of the motor looked real clean, and to fully find the problem they would literally have to take apart the entire engine, therefore he suggested a replacement engine.

The weekend came and went, then around noon on Monday I called the shop and he still had not heard anything from the insurance. I called his supervisor and was told that this adjuster supposedly tried to get a hold of the shop and myself all day friday...( A LIE) so he set up for another adjuster to come out the next day because the other guy was retiring.

When I told the supervisor everything that was going on, he questioned me on how the engine could have gone bad in the one day that it was gone....well duh!!! it's a 4x4 and it had a full tank of gas when stolen and not a drop when recovered....it was obviously driven into the ground and hard!

I told him that the shop recommended a replacement motor and he told me that a betterment charge would apply. He said the insurance would replace it with a like motor with the same mileage if it was determined that it was caused by the theft.....the truck has 125,000 miles on it.

The shop where it is at now wants $3000.00 for a replacement motor but I can take it to the original shop that says they could get a low milage motor and do the job for around $2000.00

I was told that the 5.0 V-8 that has been around since the early sixties is a very durable engine and 125,000 miles is really nothing for that engine. Like I said it is real clean inside which tells me that it had regular oil changes since I have no receipts of that. I have only had the truck for 3 months and it was in perfect condition in and out when I had it.

It also has some minor body damage to one of the doors.

I have talked to so many people at the insurance company and have got so many stories it's rediculous. I was even told by one supervisor that if the engine is bad and it has body damage that it might be written off as a loss...but that guy is on vacation till the beginning of the year. These people don not return phone calls and I am real tired of not having a vehicle to drive.

I guess my questions are:

A) what percentage is my responsibility in a "betterment charge"

B) why should I have to pay anything, besides my deductable, since it was in perfect running order before it was stolen and now I have a bad engine.

C) Do I have to settle on an engine that the insurance finds or can I have the vehicle towed to another shop where they can get me a low milage engine for less money than the shop where it's at right now.

D) If the insurance wants me to pay more than I can afford right now in a betterment charge, can I just get a check for the share that they would cover, then when I can afford to, fix it myself?

E) how long is an auto insurance claim legally open for

F) do I have to accept their offer/ are there any other avenues I can seek out such as the department of insurance?

JETX

smantas said:
what percentage is my responsibility in a "betterment charge"
No one can answer that, as it simply is not a 'book item'. Based on your post, I would say your 'share' is 100%.

why should I have to pay anything, besides my deductable, since it was in perfect running order before it was stolen and now I have a bad engine.
Because you had an engine with 125k miles!!! You are now asking for a new 'no mileage' engine. You would have to pay the difference in value between those two cases. Further, there is NO evidence that your engine wasn't on its 'last legs' at the time it was 'borrowed'. Another, there is NO evidence that any damage occurred DUE TO THE theft. Emptying the fuel tank does not cause an engine to fail.... now, if you said it had been driven without oil, that would be different.

Do I have to settle on an engine that the insurance finds or can I have the vehicle towed to another shop where they can get me a low milage engine for less money than the shop where it's at right now.
Ask them... they are the ones going to pay. But let me point out... they will pay the LEAST amount of the 'estimates' you get.

If the insurance wants me to pay more than I can afford right now in a betterment charge, can I just get a check for the share that they would cover, then when I can afford to, fix it myself?
Ask them.

how long is an auto insurance claim legally open for
Depends on the policy of the insurance company. However, you can bring a lawsuit up to the expiration of the SOL.

do I have to accept their offer/ are there any other avenues I can seek out such as the department of insurance?
Of course you could file a complaint with the state insurance office.... or file a lawsuit.

teflon_jones

I would take anything you can get from insurance on this claim (even if it's nothing). You're trying to get money for an engine with 125K miles on it. Regardless of what one mechanic said, the engine was high mileage and didn't have much value. You have zero proof that the theft is the cause of any problem.

Lynx 36

Quote: I would take anything you can get from insurance on this claim (even if it's nothing). You're trying to get money for an engine with 125K miles on it.

I would too. Engines w/ that muck mileage on them aren't worth very much. If the car is deemed total loss they will also deduct prior damage off the total settlement value as well. I.E. Body damage, betterment on tires, etc.

Quote: F) do I have to accept their offer/ are there any other avenues I can seek out such as the department of insurance?

The DOI probably wouldn't do anything about. They will send a letter to the insurance company asking f/ a response, usually w/in 15 days. The company will explain what they are doing and why. From what I see here the insurance company hasn't done anything wrong at this point.

And yes you can always sue.

S

smantas

I cant even believe you morons

First let me start with jetx:

""""Originally Posted by smantas

No one can answer that, as it simply is not a 'book item'. Based on your post, I would say your 'share' is 100%
-----------------------------------------------------------------

100%???? are you for real??? My vehicle gets stolen and it's found with a bad engine and you say """I""" am to blame for this??

Just how old are you anyway?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
""""Quote:
why should I have to pay anything, besides my deductable, since it was in perfect running order before it was stolen and now I have a bad engine.

Because you had an engine with 125k miles!!! You are now asking for a new 'no mileage' engine. You would have to pay the difference in value between those two cases. Further, there is NO evidence that your engine wasn't on its 'last legs' at the time it was 'borrowed'. Another, there is NO evidence that any damage occurred DUE TO THE theft. Emptying the fuel tank does not cause an engine to fail.... now, if you said it had been driven without oil, that would be different."""""

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHERE did I EVER say I wanted a NEW engine, WHERE??? UH-DUH!!!!!
You OBVIOUSLY dont know anything about the 5.0 V-8 engine, or ANY engine for that matter. That mileageisn't squat for that engine, they are known to go for 300K or better and this is no piece of junk you're talking about, this vehicle was in extreme MINT condition and books out at $7000.00 WITH THOSE MILES!!!...it was loaded with leather interior and every option available for that vehicle!

Now on to "teflon jones"

"""""I would take anything you can get from insurance on this claim (even if it's nothing). You're trying to get money for an engine with 125K miles on it. Regardless of what one mechanic said, the engine was high mileage and didn't have much value. You have zero proof that the theft is the cause of any problem"""""

Anything I can get even if it's nothing???
WOW.....let's see your car stolen then recovered and run to death and see if you feel the same way you idiot!

Like I said above, 125K on that engine is NOTHING!!!! ask any mechanic!!, apparently you are ignorant when it comes to cars also!

Now on to moron number 3...Lynx

"""""Quote: I would take anything you can get from insurance on this claim (even if it's nothing). You're trying to get money for an engine with 125K miles on it.

I would too. Engines w/ that muck mileage on them aren't worth very much. If the car is deemed total loss they will also deduct prior damage off the total settlement value as well. I.E. Body damage, betterment on tires, etc"""""
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do YOU know what kelly blue book, black book and NADA is??? worth NOTHING???

Like I said earlier, WITH 125K truck books out at seven grand or better.

FOR ALL YOUR INFORMATION, I am getting a lower milage motor put in my truck, getting the body work done and getting the cost of the teardown done all for the price of my deductable,which is a hundred bucks....

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

smantas said:
Originally Posted by smantas

No one can answer that, as it simply is not a 'book item'. Based on your post, I would say your 'share' is 100%
-----------------------------------------------------------------

100%???? are you for real??? My vehicle gets stolen and it's found with a bad engine and you say """I""" am to blame for this??
Yep, I am for real... and yes, that is a VERY real answer.
Simply, you have NO claim on the engine. You can't prove its condition immediately prior to the theft AND you can't prove that ANYTHING the thief did was a direct or proximate cause of the claimed damage. Bottom line... you have an engine with 125K miles on it. What is that worth on the open market?? Maybe a few hundred at BEST (for scrap). So, you get a new engine for $2000, less $100 for your old... you owe $1900.00! Pretty simple, huh??

WHERE did I EVER say I wanted a NEW engine, WHERE??? UH-DUH!!!!!
You're arguing semantics, you nitwit!! Any engine that you put in the POS is 'new' to you. Whether it is a 'low mileage' engine, a rebuild, or a new-in-the-crate makes NO difference.
And from that, you took on to ranting and whining about my mechanical experience and how, in your OPINION, 125k mileage is "squat for that engine". Tell that to the 5.0 V-8 owners who have had to replace them.... sometimes with LESS than 125k miles on them.

it was loaded with leather interior and every option available for that vehicle!
And of course, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the issue of replacing the engine, does it?? :D

IF YOU IDIOTS ARE INTO LAW, THEN I SUGGEST A REFRESHER COURSE AS YOU ARE VERY IGNORANT WHEN IT COMES TO INSURANCE.
Lets see... if you have 100 people in a room and 99 of them think you are dumber than a rock.... and you think the other 99 are, who is more than likely correct??? Of course, we are. You can protest, rant and whine all you want, but that is NOT going to change anything. Have a happy day!!

S

smantas

damaged engine during theft

CANT YOU READ????

I just said I got a lower milage motor installed and it didnt cost me any betterment charge,......have you ever heard of a "like" motor???

This gets the vehicle back into the condition it was in prior to the theft.

Thats what they are putting in even though it's 40,000 miles less than the original.....they are NOT charging me anything for it because it is a used motor., NOT a rebuild or new.

Do I have to go S l o w e r for you and dumb it down a bit?

A betterment charge involves putting in a Better motor, hence a rebuild or new....thus the term "better" ment!

Like I said, you dimwit, the open market for that truck with 125k on the clock books out at around 7 grand with all the options I have on it....this is why they didnt write it off!....uh-duh!!!

I'll repeat it once more .....the 5.0 that has been around since the early sixties, probably WAY before you were even "spawned"....has been a proven dependable motor that can reach almost half a million miles if regular maintenance is performed. Try doing a search on it if you know how, or if you know anything about cars (which obviously you dont)

rmet4nzkx

Your ignorance speaks for it's self.
Motor can be many things? Pleazzzz Engine is the proper term, like the difference between a ship and a boat.

Idiot, well you think that you have come away with a better deal after what ever happened?

A rebuilt engine would have some warranty, because the cause of the "noise" would have been identified in the process, unless it was a "mounting" or such causing the noise.

So what have you got for yourself? You got used engine with 80K miles on it from a wrecked vehicle, so you have a ticking time bomb. If someone taking your vehicle for a spin resulted in such devastating engine damage, what can you expect from your used engine?

You had problems from your insurance company because the whole story reekes
:eek:

JETX

smantas said:
CANT YOU READ????

I just said I got a lower milage motor installed and it didnt cost me any betterment charge,......have you ever heard of a "like" motor???

This gets the vehicle back into the condition it was in prior to the theft.
I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, as I really didn't think you could be that stupid. However, you have now removed all doubt.
The ONLY way you will have a "like motor" is if you put another engine with the EXACT same mileage into your vehicle. The fact that you are hoping to end up with a "lower mileage motor installed" (your words) is BETTERMENT!!

A betterment charge involves putting in a Better motor, hence a rebuild or new....thus the term "better" ment!
Damn, you must have to hold your breath when you walk, huh??
Where does it say that 'betterment' means a rebuild or new motor?? Where does it say that your getting an 85k engine instead of a 125k engine isn't betterment??

Like I said, you dimwit, the open market for that truck with 125k on the clock books out at around 7 grand with all the options I have on it....this is why they didnt write it off!....uh-duh!!!
As stated before, the claim of $7k on your POS has absolutely NOTHING to do with this issue... you 'dimwit'. :D

When and IF you finally get out of college, I suggest getting into something different besides the law or insurance as you really dont know what the hell you are talking about!
Kind of interesting statement... if I "don't know what the hell" I am talking about, how come YOU are the one with the problem??? :D
I fully understand the FACTS of the situation.... where you can't. So, cry, whine and piss all you want. I really have no 'dog in that fight'. I am very happy with my education, knowledge and experience, including as a former Pro Stock dragracer (back in the 60's and 70's) having rebuilt more engines than you will ever own....

In any case, piss and moan all you want on this forum. The only person you have to convince you are right is the insurance company..... and you will NOT win that one. :D

S

smantas

To rmet4

"""Your ignorance speaks for it's self.
Motor can be many things? Pleazzzz Engine is the proper term, like the difference between a ship and a boat."""""

Well it's not my fault you are too stupid to know that an engine and a motor in a car or truck are one in the same ......you cant seem to grasp that one?

"""""A rebuilt engine would have some warranty, because the cause of the "noise" would have been identified in the process, unless it was a "mounting" or such causing the noise"""""

For your information the used motor that they have already installed in my truck comes with a one year 12,000 mile parts and labor warranty....A rebuild could open all kinds of problems....if something was not torqued down just right in the rebuild process you're asking for a whole slew of problems.....the rebuild would have had the same warranty as a used one, with twice the price tag!

""""So what have you got for yourself? You got used engine with 80K miles on it from a wrecked vehicle, so you have a ticking time bomb. If someone taking your vehicle for a spin resulted in such devastating engine damage, what can you expect from your used engine?"""""

It's quite obvious that you know squat about cars, PERIOD!

""""You had problems from your insurance company because the whole story reekes """""

Are you that stupid?...what did I just say in my previous post.....the issue has been resolved with the insurance company....it's over.....can you read?

Jetx

""""I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, as I really didn't think you could be that stupid. However, you have now removed all doubt.
The ONLY way you will have a "like motor" is if you put another engine with the EXACT same mileage into your vehicle. The fact that you are hoping to end up with a "lower mileage motor installed" (your words) is BETTERMENT""""

I HAVE ended up with a lower mileage motor, it's already been installed with a 1 year 12,000 mile parts and labor warranty, and the fact the insurance company has called it a like motor is all that i need to know.....MY GOD READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............

"""""Damn, you must have to hold your breath when you walk, huh??
Where does it say that 'betterment' means a rebuild or new motor?? Where does it say that your getting an 85k engine instead of a 125k engine isn't betterment??"""""

The damned insurance company ....thats who!...it's already a done deal, moron!

""""As stated before, the claim of $7k on your POS has absolutely NOTHING to do with this issue...
Maybe in your own but not in the eyes of my insurance company...they tried to write it off but it was worth too much with 125k so they decided to replace the motor......look who the dimwit is now you idiot!

""""Kind of interesting statement... if I "don't know what the hell" I am talking about, how come YOU are the one with the problem??? """"

""""I fully understand the FACTS of the situation.... where you can't.""""

Oh I cant huh, is this why I have resolved the entire situation and you are too f__king stupid to see that it's all been taken care of all in a way completely different than how you said it would turn out?

"""""So, cry, whine and piss all you want. I really have no 'dog in that fight'. I am very happy with my education, knowledge and experience, including as a former Pro Stock dragracer (back in the 60's and 70's) having rebuilt more engines than you will ever own...."""""""

I am not crying in the least...I am very content with the way things turned out.....YOU seem to have a problem with an insurance company resolving an issue in a way that completely differed with the way YOU said it would turn out!

"""""""In any case, piss and moan all you want on this forum. The only person you have to convince you are right is the insurance company..... and you will NOT win that one""""""""""""

Oh, THIS one just kills me.....you are so wrapped up into your shallow self that you are just to god dam stupid to have read several times already that the insurance company has already agreed to install another engine at no charge to me with a full 1 year parts and labor warranty. If fact it's sitting in my driveway as we speak and allready fixed, you dimwittted, sarcastic uneducated moron....

rmet4nzkx

Ha, ha, you are not a smart a$$ you are a dumb a$$

Just where did you think your new "motor" came from? It came from the "wrecking" salvage yard. You have no idea what might be the condition of that engine, and yes a rebuilt is preferable to a used engine, if you have a competent mechanic.

"Well it's not my fault you are too stupid to know that an engine and a motor in a car or truck are one in the same ......you cant seem to grasp that one?" Well if that is the case you could have just pluged a search engine into your vehicle! Who is STUPID, not me, I have a PhD and that is not for piled high and deep!

An internal combustion engine is a specific name, the term motor applies to many types of devices.

"It's quite obvious that you know squat about cars, PERIOD!" Well although I'm a woman, I have spend my fair share of time working on vehicles of various sorts although not as much as Jet.

Don't worry, if this is a scam, the insurance company has flagged your account.

Stolen, right

:rolleyes:

S

smantas

""""Just where did you think your new "motor" came from? It came from the "wrecking" salvage yard. You have no idea what might be the condition of that engine, and yes a rebuilt is preferable to a used engine, if you have a competent mechanic."""""

It came from a salvage yard, NO SH_T SHERLOCK!......All these engines are coming out of vehicles that were rear ended and were deemed a total. That doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the engine. When you buy a used car what are you going to do you moron, have a rebuilt engine put in it because you dont know how the previous one was treated? The engines where my mechanic buys from have been completely inspected and smogged and he wouldnt offer a one year 12,000 mile parts and labor warranty if he didnt think they were any good.....wake up you stupid bitch! I have no problem with a used MOTOR, in fact I and most mechanics prefer it over a rebuild....as I said, if something is not torqued down right in the rebuild process, it can open up a whole slew of problems of which the entire MOTOR has to be torn down again.

"""""Well it's not my fault you are too stupid to know that an engine and a motor in a car or truck are one in the same ......you cant seem to grasp that one?" Well if that is the case you could have just pluged a search engine into your vehicle! Who is STUPID, not me, I have a PhD and that is not for piled high and deep!""""

A PHD???? And who did you have to sleep with to get it?

Motor, engine....well if you are too friggin stupid to know which one goes into a MOTOR vehicle than thats your own stupidity.....this is why we have MOTOR trend magazine, department of MOTOR vehicles and so on and most mechanics refer to an engine as a MOTOR!! dumb ass!

"""""An internal combustion engine is a specific name, the term motor applies to many types of devices""""

UH DUH!!!!! .......I cant even believe you graduated junior high much less a college!

"""""""It's quite obvious that you know squat about cars, PERIOD!" Well although I'm a woman, I have spend my fair share of time working on vehicles of various sorts although not as much as Jet.""""""

Cleaning the inside doesnt count idiot!.........dont you have some laundry to do wench!

""""Don't worry, if this is a scam, the insurance company has flagged your account.

Stolen, right""""""

There you go A$$uming again....every 6 seconds a MOTOR vehicle is stolen in the united states....but they are all scams in your book, right!

MY GOD you're stupid!

teflon_jones

I posted a nice, honest response to you and you go on to call me a moron? You were very lucky to get an engine from your insurance company, so good job with that. There's no need to call me a moron.

Lots of luck with your rebuilt engine.

You Are Guilty

I guess you already knew that, at least as far as displacement, the "wonderful" 5-0 motor you have been talking about was actually a mid year replacement in 1968 (and has not been around "since the early sixties"). As far as the actual 302 that was in your truck, those have only been around since the 90s. (But then again, you clearly know more about the "5-Oh" than anyone else on the planet so I'm sure this is all just old hat to you - it's really meant for everybody else).

Of course, one must wonder why this miracle engine was able to blow itself up after only one day of theft. I guess it's not that stout after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">