• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

daughter broke femur on someone else's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tgriffin32

daughter broke femur

My daughter got injured on her grandparents trampoline, while they were refusing to return her home after a visit, and they managed to have my daughter operated on and she was in the hospital for 1 week without me knowing anything about it at all. Then instead of informing their homeowner's insurance they had the bill sent to me.

T

tgriffin32

daughter's broken femur

No, I don't have a problem asking a specific question. My question obviously is their homeowner's liable to pay for the hospital bill and how could the doctor's and hospital operate on her without my consent? She was admitted into the hospital and not operated on for two days.

H

hexeliebe

Well now let's look at this situation, without all the games and the emotion.

A minor child is injured requiring medical attention.

The adults who have physical custody of the child at the time of the injury are required, (did you get that?) REQUIRED by law to render or cause to have rendered medical attention.

The adults who had physical custody of the child at the time of the injury took her to a hospital where she was given medical attention.

The amount of time between her being admitted to the hospital and the surgery is insignifigant.

The history between you and the grandparents is insignifigant.

The only fact that you have in this scenario that will help in the situation is that the grandparents told the hospital to send you the bill because you are the parent and legally responsible.

If you want to recover then you will need to sue the grandparents and their insurance carrier.

T

tgriffin32

daughter's femur

They had no custody at all over my daughter. They had her for a visit and then refused to obey a court order and return her home. They according to the laws I have read so far and according to the court order, had to notify me of the accident. I am her legal guardian and they are not authorized to lie to anyone to have my daughter treated without my consent or my knowledge.

I need a new drug!

H

hexeliebe

They had no custody at all over my daughter.
So, what you're saying (and this is why people should shut the hell up and speak with an attorney) is that your daughter snuck over to the grandparents home and began jumping on the trampoline without their permission?

No, that is not what you are saying. Therefore, back to your original statement that she was with the grandparents. Therefore, they had physical custody of them AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT.

Now if you want to quibble then go find the advice you're looking for elsewhere.

I told you what to do. And I told you what was relevant and what wasn't. If you want to posture and stomp your foot go right ahead. But it won't make a difference in a court. And that's where you are headed, like it or not.

ellencee

tgriffin32
In an emergency situation, the surgery was done appropriately even without your consent.

The grandparents are not a part of any court ordered custody and while with them for a visit, they were responsible for your daughter's well-being.

Send the medical bills to your insurance carrier with a letter stating that you believe the bill should be paid by the homeowner's/property insurance of the grandparents. Provide your insurance carrier with the grandparents names, address, and telephone number. Let your insurance carrier handle the issue.

Please go the medmal section and delete your post on this subject.

Oh, and if it were my child to whom this happened and I was not called, it would be the last time my child visited at her grandparents' home unless I was there. If the grandparents are the paternal grandparents, then I would have a serious issue with my ex for not telling me about my daughter's injury. Someone needs to explain 'kidnapping' to these grandparents.

Thanks,
EC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">