• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter had accident her fault, received settlement letter from lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denisedaisy33

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My daughter had a accident in Jan. that was her fault. The other parties were ok and did not leave in ambulance, but were injured. I have recieved yesterday a letter from their lawyer to my daughter stating what they want to settle for on each case (there were 3 injured). It is sent to us stating that we can demand our insurance pay this amount, which seems excessive and if we do not we could be liable to any interst on the sum. How should I handle this?

alnorth

How much are they asking for per person (so 3 numbers), and what is the liability on your insurance policy per person, and per accident (2 more numbers)?

denisedaisy33

One 45,000, one 22,000 and one 10,000. My insurance will cover with 100/300 limits. Says though that if not paid in 30 days, I can be charged interest on this amount. Don't really understand this.

alnorth

Well thats a nice refreshing change, you actually have plenty of insurance to cover this.

Turn the demand letter over to your insurance company and let them worry about it, thats why you paid extra for the 100/300 limits. The insurance company will try to negotiate the number down and provide a lawyer for you if necessary, but as far as your concerned, as long as the payment doesnt go over your policy limit, you wont pay a dime out of pocket. (Well, except for a possible increase in your insurance rate next year)

moburkes

Well thats a nice refreshing change, you actually have plenty of insurance to cover this.

Turn the demand letter over to your insurance company and let them worry about it, thats why you paid extra for the 100/300 limits. The insurance company will try to negotiate the number down and provide a lawyer for you if necessary, but as far as your concerned, as long as the payment doesnt go over your policy limit, you wont pay a dime out of pocket. (Well, except for a possible increase in your insurance rate next year)
Exactly. You were covered "well", and your insurance company will gladly handle this for you. Other than the premium increase, you can sleep well at night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">