• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughters car wreck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

concerned dad

I have hvae a question. My daughter -16- was involved in a car crash,she was driving her friends car.My daughter got a ticket for going through a yellow light.Several people were hurt seriously in the crash,if the law suits exceed her insurance coverage,can these parties go after her mother and I. Are we liable?? Concerned dad in Wisconsin

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Here is my take and I have been through something similar:

1. Your daughter is liable as driver.
2. Your daughter's friend is liable for negligently entrusting her vehicle to your daughter.
3. If this friend's parents own the car, they may be liable if they knew your daughter drove.
4. Same theory with you -- if you knew your daughter drove.

Factors to take into consideration:

1. Your daughter's age
2. Her driving record -- any accidents or tickets other than this?

I don't think under this scenario you and your spouse would be liabel. Also, even if your daughter was and the judgment exceeded any and all insurance amounts, good luck in collecting from a 16 year old, even if judgments can be attached for up to 10 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">