• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dealer wrecked my vehicle, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chicagocowboi

What is the name of your state? IL

I was involved in an accident that did no damage to my vehicle on Monday. Friday, my check engine light came on. I took my vehicle into the dealer to have it checked out Saturday. While in the waiting room, the service person came over to me and said there was a problem with my vehicle and to follow him.

I walk into the service room in the back and my hood is pushed beyond where it should be, my grill is torn off and the side of my vehicle is scraped up and door is bowed in with a big dent.

The service manager tells me that while they were hooking up my vehicle to test it, that the technician had the hood up, put it in gear, started it, then got out of the vehicle to do the test. The vehicle went forward and ran into the lift, tearing the hood and grill to pieces.

They gave me the option of getting a rental and getting it repaired (even though I know it will never run the same again), or they would definitely buy it back and put me in another vehicle.

At the time, I just wanted to see how much a new vehicle would cost me. I also contacted the lawyer that is representing me in the earlier accident (the one that occurred Monday) to find out if I needed to keep my vehicle for any reason for legal purposes. She told me that it was up to me, and since an accident report was already filled out, I could do either.

I also called my insurance and was told to wait to speak to the same adjuster that took my information from for Monday's incident.

So I didn't go directly into a new vehicle and got them to give me a rental in the meantime. (they kept trying to pressure me into getting a new vehicle, but I stuck with going with the rental option until I am able to speak to my insurance adjuster on Monday.)

I'm wondering what to do now and what I would actually be entitled to in terms of another vehicle. I was 2 years away from paying off my current vehicle, and had planned on keeping it a while to save money. If I get a new car through them, I am potentially looking at paying another 5 years.

I don't want to get screwed on this, and their willingness to sign me up for another vehicle, makes me think they are getting away with not fixing anything and making me pay for their screw up.

Any legal help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

I also filed for bankruptcy 10-13-05 and was reaffirming my vehicle in the bankruptcy. So just going to another dealer really isn't an option.

Last edited:

please tell me you at least took pictures of this damage before leaving it at this shop? or at least had something in writing before you left it there? if not don't waste anytime monday morning, and get your adjuster there a.s.a.p
get your estimate to fix the damage, then if the car is drivable bring it elsewhere to have repaired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">