• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death in car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lisa Smith

I was in a car accident in June 2000. I was driving my car and had a friend with me. We were hit on the passenger side by a lady that failed to stop at a stop sign and hit us at estimated 80 mph in a 30 mph. My passenger was killed and I also had some injuries that required hospitilization and time loss from work. The lady that hit us was in a rental car. Her insurance is stating that they are not liable because she took out the insurance just to rent the car and the rental car company is stating that they are not liable because she did not take out the rental company insurance. I had full coverage on my car which included Underinsured/uninsured. What are my options? Whose insurance should be held responsible. In addition, the lady has been indicted on Vehicular Manslaugher and is in our county jail. We are in the state of Texas.

ALawyer

First, I am sorry for the loss of your friend and your injury.

It sounds as if there is a VERY MAJOR CLAIM agianst the driver and the rental car company, and their insurance companies. Both are trying hard to deny liability as in the hands of a lawyer for the deceased and a separate lawyer for you this is likely a million dollar plus claim. DO NOT try to handle this without a lawyer.

I hope you have a good lawyer and the family of the deceased does too.

In the end both insurers likely will contribute toward the major settlement or have to share the verdict. The rental company may have failed to check her driving record.
AttorneyPages lists some of the best lawyers on the country on the site and they do NOT charge you up front but take a contingency fee based on a percentage of what they recover for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">