• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deductible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caption

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Is it required that you pay a deductible for a hit and run when your vehicle was parked or a branch falls off a tree and hits your vehicle (parked)? All questions are referring to the owner of the parked vehicle.

Last edited:

justalayman

first, you would need comprehensive coverage for those incidents to be covered and it would be up to whatever your policy purchased states as to having a deductable on comprehensive coverage or not.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Is it required that you pay a deductible for a hit and run when your vehicle was parked or a branch falls off a tree and hits your vehicle (parked)? All questions are referring to the owner of the parked vehicle.
Hit and run is covered under collision. It depends upon what type of collision coverage you purchased. Limited, Standard, or Broad.

Tree branch is covered under comprehensive, and yes, depending upon what deductible you have. Sometimes people have a $0 comprehensive deductible.

justalayman

I stand corrected.

This is with the presumption you do not have knowledge of the driver of the other vehicle.

If you know who the other party was, they would be liable for the damages. (they are liable even if you do not know who they are but it is kind of hard to recover from somebody you do not know who they are)

moburkes

I stand corrected.

This is with the presumption you do not have knowledge of the driver of the other vehicle.

If you know who the other party was, they would be liable for the damages. (they are liable even if you do not know who they are but it is kind of hard to recover from somebody you do not know who they are)
ONLY because the vehicle was legally parked. In MI, each party pays for the damage to its own vehicle, regardless of the cause, EXCEPT for parked cars.

justalayman

ONLY because the vehicle was legally parked. In MI, each party pays for the damage to its own vehicle, regardless of the cause, EXCEPT for parked cars.
yes, I know Mo. the statute reads thusly regarding liability to a parked car:

unless the vehicle is parked in a manner as not to cause unreasonable risk of the damage which occurred.
I had believed the statute did state "legally parked" but the above wuoted statute
500.3123 Exclusions from property protection insurance benefits
.seems to imply that the a parked vehicle, even if not legally parked but was not parked as noted above, would be covered as well. It might also place a legally parked car, if parking it in the legal position would cause it to fall under the above statement, would not be covered by the offending driver as well.

I doubt the latter has been utilized as such but I can imagine a few situations where it may be able to be considered.

Hhhmm, things to think about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">