• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definition of Reasonable Control

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atillahuns

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Today, I was driving on an interstate near Cincinnati, and in the distance of about 1/2 mile, the road surface went from dry to wet, due to a downpour. I was driving at the posted speed limit, and when I saw that the road conditions were deteriorating, I began to slow down, unfortunately, not quickly enough. My vehicle began hydroplaning, resulting in my loss of control of the vehicle and an accident in the median of the roadway. No other vehicles were involved. I contacted the Highway Patrol (state law for an accident), and was sited for 4511.202, Operating vehicle without reasonable control. The text of the code is:
(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar on any street, highway, or property open to the public for vehicular traffic without being in reasonable control of the vehicle, trolley, or streetcar.

There is no definition shown for "reasonable control", nor can I find a definition. Was the fact that an accident resulted from my operation of the motor vehicle sufficient proof that it was not operated in "reasonable control"? I have been driving for 33 years, and this is my first charged infraction.

JustAPal00

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Today, I was driving on an interstate near Cincinnati, and in the distance of about 1/2 mile, the road surface went from dry to wet, due to a downpour. I was driving at the posted speed limit, and when I saw that the road conditions were deteriorating, I began to slow down, unfortunately, not quickly enough. My vehicle began hydroplaning, resulting in my loss of control of the vehicle and an accident in the median of the roadway. No other vehicles were involved. I contacted the Highway Patrol (state law for an accident), and was sited for 4511.202, Operating vehicle without reasonable control. The text of the code is:
(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar on any street, highway, or property open to the public for vehicular traffic without being in reasonable control of the vehicle, trolley, or streetcar.

There is no definition shown for "reasonable control", nor can I find a definition. Was the fact that an accident resulted from my operation of the motor vehicle sufficient proof that it was not operated in "reasonable control"? I have been driving for 33 years, and this is my first charged infraction.
The laws that are written like that are vague for a reason. They leave room for the officer’s discretion. Usually it's assumed that if you are at fault in a collision, and bad weather is a factor, then you didn't have reasonable control of your vehicle! Had weather not been a factor, you would have been written for "failure to control the speed of a vehicle to avoid a collision" or something like that!

tammy8

It really doesn't matter what type of ticket you got. File with your insurance company, have them pay for damages and then give you a letter to present to the court to get the ticket dropped.

There is a difference in insurance points (from how much an insurance company pays out) to driver license points (from the tickets you get).

abbleba

Same (almost) thing just happened to me, and I'm wondering...

On Thanksgiving Day at approx. noon, I was driving in a pouring rain to the grocery store to meet a friend who runs a local support group that I've attended for years. I was going to use my food stamps to pay for the Thanksgiving celebration he was having for some group members, just as a gesture of thanks for their kindness, support, etc.

While driving through an S-curve at the posted speed limit, I lost control, spun out, and the front driver's side wheel & fender glanced off a telephone pole. Oddly, though the impact and damage were both considerable, my airbag did not deploy (to the astonishment of one responding P.O.).

The damage to the telephone pole was negligible, yet I was cited for failure to control, and for scraping one of countless telephone poles because, said the citing P.O., it and every other telephone pole is "private property".

The resultant fine; $124.00.

Q: Will I get any points as well? Should I go to court and ask for leniency?

Thank You for your time, attention & interest. Any advice is much appreciated.

abbleba

abbleba

Oh, forgot to mention regarding my auto insurance...

I have only comp. - no collision, no nothing that will make a difference.

abbleba

abbleba

Sorry, didn't even know what necro-posting was till I just now looked it up.
I'm sort of a semi-newbie (as were we all once), esp. with respect to Online forums, and am still learning proper netiquette.

Also, not looking to sue anybody here. Don't know why you made that assumption. I simply asked if it might be plausible given the circumstances to go to court and ask for leniency (as opposed to clemency). Even the initial poster said nothing about suing, just asked for the legal definition of "reasonable control", yes?

abbleba

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The line about lawsuits is part of ecmst12's signature; it appears on all her posts and was not directed at you specifically.

abbleba

Thanks cbg, very gracious of you. I know what a signature line is, yet due to my aforemetioned o/l forum novice ranking I sometimes fail to make the distinction.

ecmst12, your last post was just plain unnecessary. You read my answer to your 1st reply, you know I got the message the 1st time. Maybe you're just the type who always has to have the last word. If so, knock yourself out 'cause I'm outta here.

abbleba

P.S. Fwiw, I eventually got enough feedback from other sources that the next day I went ahead and paid the fine by mail. Case closed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">