• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Auto Claim on Stereo Theft due to installation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

savante21

State: IL

I had my car broken into and my DVD/Navigation unit($1800) stolen from within my dash.

There is a police report and I filed the claim with my insurer "State Farm" who originally told me anything installed in a factory location is insured.

The company they work with required I get my dash inspected to make sure the "wires were not cut" and to determine "if I needed any additional installation hardware".

Turns out the inspection was actually in order to determine if the radio was connected in a way which allowed DVD movies to play while the car was in motion. I had no idea it had been setup this way. Being that watching movies while the car is in motion is illegal in Illinois, state farm will not insure the theft claiming they don't insure "illegal items".

When my policy was explained to me "illegal items" was defined as "Drugs or weapons".
I had no idea my stereo was deemed an illegal item because of the way the stereo shop installed it.

I feel like State Farm's sole intention was to figure out a way to get out of paying for my stereo.
Is there any point in fighting this?

Thanks for any info.

xylene

I feel like State Farm's sole intention was to figure out a way to get out of paying for my stereo.
BINGO!

If you have specific items installed specially into your car, make sure that the policy specifically enumerates the items in a coverage rider.

Otherwise they can, will and do (as you know) absolutely anything to not pay.

Protest the denial, but you are not likely to get anywhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">